How Exactly Does Read-Only Sharing Work?

When I share a read-only key to another person and I delete a file or folder on the original source, do the people with my read-only key get their copy of that file deleted as well? Or does it remain?

Also, in case that person with my read-only key deletes a file or folder from his copy, does BitTorrent Sync redownload that missing file (since it's not in-sync with my original copy) or does it ignore that file/folder alone from that point onwards?

1) Their copy gets deleted.

In the case of continous backups, (e.g. I have constant backups on interval sent to my server. However, my phone/laptop that is the source of the backup has lower storage capacity than the server so I need to delete older backups. How do I keep the ones already synced and sent to the server even if I've deleted the source on the original device?

I mean, I know there's .SyncArchive but using that workaround seems more like a hack than an actual solution.

2) The file/folder will be ignored from that point forward.

If that's the case then how will they get the latest version then? Or how do they make it so that they get updates on those files again?

If that's the case then how will they get the latest version then? Or how do they make it so that they get updates on those files again?

Unless the other person has selected "Restore modified files to original version" in the Advanced settings of that share. In this case, the other person's sync will keep in sync with yours.

There isn't any way to only synd added files? So when I add files they are transfered but when I remove them they stay on the other side?

To my knowledge this is not possible with the current desktop version of BTsync. However, when looking at the iOS btsync client, the camera backup works that way: cow can delete camera photos on the iPhone, and they will stay on the receiving end, which is a RO client. I would very much like to see this behaviour implemented in the desktop app, as this could then easily be a backup node, where files get dumped and overwritten only, but not deleted if removed from the master.

However, when looking at the iOS btsync client, the camera backup works that way: cow can delete camera photos on the iPhone, and they will stay on the receiving end

I noticed this behavior on Android client as well. Although I can't currently test desktop-to-desktop setup so I had to ask this thread. I hope it gets implemented to the desktop version too. Kinda like a checkbox or something.