Remote Desktop (Rdp) Implementation

mertzi

Hello!

I didn't find anything RDP related by searching so I guess this is not a feature that many would care for.

Since Microsoft discontinued Windows Live Mesh/Sync a year ago I've been using a software called GBridge for cloudless sync between my home and work PC. It has the benefit of besides sync providing me RDP without port forwarding (which was also possible in Windows Live Mesh). In some manner the RDP protocol goes through a relay which in it's turn goes through Google's talk server. Port forwarding wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for my workplace only having a 4G internet connection and the operator doesn't allow port forwarding.

Recently I've had a lot of trouble with syncing in Gbridge and I knew about BTSync so I figured I'd try it out. I'm still dependent on Gbridge for RDP but one process less is always nice. But is it even possible to implement RDP the way BTSync works?

As an ex-Live Mesh-er myself, I concur that an RDP/VNC capability would make BitTorrent Sync even better and a true Mesh replacement! :)

It's certainly a valid feature request, that said, it would deviate from the primary purpose of Sync - which is to synchronize your files across devices. Therefore, don't expect to see any such RDP/VNC type functionality implemented any time soon, as I suspect this would more be a "longer term" feature for consideration.

I think there are enough remote control solutions (personally I use Teamviewer) that work without the need for port forwarding. I think your request would be more in the scope of a bigger Mesh-replacement application that integrates both RDP and BTSync functionality.

Maybe Hamachi and BTSync might make a good combination for your purposes?

Maybe Hamachi and BTSync might make a good combination for your purposes?

That's exactly the setup I have, and it works well! ...but, of course, Hamachi isn't a truly "free" product, and in an ideal world a true like-for-like replacement for Mesh would be substituting one product for another, not one product for two separate products to achieve the same functaionality!

Actually I used to run LogMeIn Hamachi prior to both Live Mesh and Gbridge. I didn't know teamviewer worked without port forwarding. I installed Chrome Remote Desktop yesterday and it seems to work really good too. But it would still be cool if it was included in BTSync, the less stuff you need to install the better!

Edited by mertzi

I'd take this to the network layer: It'd be awesome if BTSync peers could create a P2P VPN. Then we could use it for virtually anything. At first 1-to-1 could do, then n-to-n.

Indeed, this would be a huge side-project and the only thing that we could reuse is the peer discovery, as far as I "know" the system. A VPN can't have delays, so torrent as a transport protocol is not really a viable option.

Should I open a thread for this? Is it feasible?

I think the way to do that is take an already working VPN solution (like tinc, maybe) and add some sort of tracker server and NAT hole punching functionality to it. Developing the VPN part seems to be more complicated and error-prone to me than the tracker part BTSync already has.