Illumos / Smartos Support

papertigers

Since one of the use cases is NAS I thought I'd raise the topic of support for illumos based systems. A lot of people have ZFS boxes that they would like to sync across. The only other feature complete implementation of ZFS is found on FreeBSD. Are these platforms going to be supported. Or possibly the source for this posted?

• 4 weeks later...

Another +1

We recently replaced a load of Windows file servers using DFS-replication with SmartOS (illumos) servers. Unfortunately rsync doesn't suit us quite as well as DFS-R did and so we have been looking at Gluster.

However, having tested and been impressed with the results of Bittorrent Sync on some Linux, Windows and OSX hosts, I'd really like to see how well it could work for us on these SmartOS servers. Seems like the perfect application.

Another +1

We recently replaced a load of Windows file servers using DFS-replication with SmartOS (illumos) servers. Unfortunately rsync doesn't suit us quite as well as DFS-R did and so we have been looking at Gluster.

However, having tested and been impressed with the results of Bittorrent Sync on some Linux, Windows and OSX hosts, I'd really like to see how well it could work for us on these SmartOS servers. Seems like the perfect application.

You may be better off writing a small script to do snapshot incremental sends. I know nexenta has some things built in to do this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What I would put on the wishlist is an Illumos (i.e. successor to the Open Source Solaris) Version.

Just wanted to check in again.  Still dying for illumos support.  Building a client against libc would be nice.  Any possibility that this will eventually come down the pipeline?  Especially now that there is a freebsd build.  Would love to leverage this on smartos and joyents cloud as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I joined the forum just for this post.  I really want the btsync app to work in Illumos.  Specifically, I use OmniOS for home use.  I would love to have the ability to have btsync support my wife's userdir and my userdir.  I want her to be able to save docs to a folder on her laptop where ever she is, and it gets synced back home.  Please please please make a build for Illumos/OmniOS.  I'll be requesting open source as well in the OSS thread.  Thanks!

What would it take to get btsync working on Illumos?  Is it just a matter of users requesting?

Pretty much!

There is obviously some interest in this, as is apparent from this thread, but at present isn't perhaps considered to be a "top priority" by the developers.

So support for SmartOS / Illumos may eventually come, but as yet there have been no announcements/hints from the developers in this regard.

My advice if you're interested in such support, and haven't yet contributed your voice to this thread, would be to do so, so that the developers can then gauge what level of interest there actually is in this regard.

• 2 months later...

My advice if you're interested in such support, and haven't yet contributed your voice to this thread, would be to do so, so that the developers can then gauge what level of interest there actually is in this regard.

+1 for SmartOS/Illumos support.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While not a native smartos build you can run btsync in an lx brand thanks to the lx brand work joyent is doing.

http://www.slideshare.net/bcantrill/illumos-lx

Slide 17 has the image uuid to import.

I will post a blog post on it eventually, but I have btsync running a lx brand at home and it works just fine.  Even has inotify support!

• 1 year later...