Big Changes After 14 Weeks / Status Display Away

I am not sure what happend. I am using btsync-user on an Ubuntu 13.10. I didn't synced the last 14 days because of a journey.

But I updated my ubuntu. Somewhere while this updates btsync-user was deleted. I don't know when and why.

I discoverd it today while I tried to sync my pc with the netbook. btsync wasn't running and even installed on the netbook. So I did a "apt-get install btsync-user" again. Then they synced.

1. What happend the last 14 weeks and why the desinallation of such an importatend and sensitive package?

2. The status display on the web-ui is lost. I can not see the status of a folder if it is currently while syncing or if it is synced or even connected. I can I get the status of my sync-folders now?

The main problem was the incompatibility between btsyncindicator.py and the new web ui. I waited 2 weeks before updating btsync-common, and in order to avoid conflicts, I added a "breaks:" dependency with btsync-user. This should have prevented the update of btsync-common on machines with btsync-user, but if you perform an apt-get dist-upgrade, you force the upgrade (and btsync-user will be uninstalled).

Nowadays Mark Johnson has updated btsyncindicator.py and I released an updated btsync-user, but I'm not really sure, that he fixed really all bugs.

You can find more information here: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/19560-debian-and-ubuntu-legacy-desktop-unofficial-packages-for-bittorrent-sync/?p=84616

I understand from your description that you are missing a feature or something is wrong in the Web UI. The Web UI is part of the official BitTorrent Sync executable - therefore I cannot tell you anything about it (you should know: the BitTorrent Packages for Debian and Ubuntu are an unofficial open source project).

Perhaps you could take a look at btsync-gui - the successor of btsync-user. I remember that you made a test in the very beginning phase and you preferred to revert to btsync-user, but after several months the application is now very stable and provides the same access to the Web UI that also btsync-user gives you. And if you still do not like it, here is the link to our previous conversation with the instructions for roll back to btsync-user.

Yes, you understand right. I miss a feauter that was there in the past. And I don't want to workaround it with an extra gui application catching resources (no matter how less) from my system.

I just want the old feauter back.

And I know that you are not a member of the official BTSync-Dev-Team. But this is the official BTSync forum. So doesn't they read here? How can I contact them?

@MoonKid

We do read the official forums :). There is an information about the last sync time in new WebUI. You need to click the devices link next to share name - and it will show you the last connect time. Now it more resembles GUI for Windows and Macs, where last sync time is indicated on Device tab.

> We do read the official forums :).

Thank you very much. :)

> There is an information about the last sync time in new WebUI.

But what is exactly behind that information. What is the meaning of "last sync time"?

Please excuse my penetrant question but with data you couldn't be less paranoid. :D

Is it the start or the end of the last sync?

I often had the experience that a sync started and then stoped/freezed with the last KBs. I could see this in the old WebUI. Then I just restarted both btsync-clients and then the sync was done to the end without missing KBs.

With the current WebUI I am scared about that. I will never see the case of missing KBs.

And I can not see why this information was removed from the main page of the webui. There is a design-reason behind it I hope?

> It shows the time when the last sync was complete.

Nice to know.

> Indeed, WebUI was redesigned to be more convenient and resembling GUI for Mac and Windows.

But why does the WebUI need to resembling the GUIs? I can see no reason for this. WebUI- and GUI-Users are totaly different types. A WebUI-user is more the admin-type. He need all necessary information on the first view without clicking around.

Now I have to click 12 times (open & close) to know the status of each of my 6 shares. This is to much.