Encode Static Ip In Folder-Qr For Mobile

zuzibivoxale

Hello!

This might seem to be a very narrow use-case at first, but please read on ;-)

I have a work PC with static IP address and need to sync pictures quickly from my mobile. Via the occasional WiFi or mobile data connection, this is not working reliably. I presume the mobile app tries to contact tracker and/or relay servers? I'd love to be able to configure the synced folder on the mobile to connect to a pre-defined host, like I can in the desktop app. That way I'm happily syncing various other desktop PCs in- and outside of the work-LAN with my work-PC. Which kind of acts as the "spider in the web" ;-) Even connecting different peers which would not have found each other, because I deactivated tracker, relay, DHT etc.

So, how about making the desktop app encode the IP address of its host in case that is found to be static. Port as well obviously, so the mobile app can more quickly, reliably and in a bandwidth-saving manner connect to the work PC?

This idea could be expanded to encode the other advanced settings as well. So that for music for example that I only sync between home PC and laptop in my home-(W)LAN, the mobile app could also be pre-configured to sync it only there.

What do you think? Thanks for this app eithe way and many greetings :-)

PS: I should add that the "occasional WiFi" is still within my work place, but separate from the LAN somehow. Syncing from work-PC (LAN) to laptop (WLAN) works fine, even when I didn't yet have the latter's sync folders configured to use a pre-defined host.

How would BTSync know that your IP address is static?

I don't think it needs to - if my understanding of the OP's request is correct, he essentially wants to be able to encode and incorporate a list of pre-defined "hosts" into a Secret, so when that Secret is used on other devices, that folder's "Pre-Defined Hosts" options are already set.

This would of course only be of use if the list of pre-defined hosts point to static IP's, rather than dynamic, otherwise those IPs are prone to change between the time when the secret containing the encoded "hosts" is created, and when it is subsequently used.

...and I think that was the point the OP was making in relation to static IPs.

So I would need to enter the server's own (external) IP into the list of predefined hosts on the server itself? Not really intuitive. Has anyone tried what BTSync does then? Does it actually try to sync with itself?

But +1 for the general idea. Maybe with a hostname instead of an IP so it works with DynDNS et.al. on non-static connections.

So I would need to enter the server's own (external) IP into the list of predefined hosts on the server itself? Not really intuitive. Has anyone tried what BTSync does then? Does it actually try to sync with itself?

Chris, the request - as I understand it - is to "encode" or in some other way incorporate a list on pre-defined hosts within a Secret that you then go on to "share" with others, so that when they come to enter that secret into their own Sync, their Sync settings for that folder will be automatically have the "Pre-Defined Hosts" setting pre-populated with a list of IPs

Exactly. Maybe "QR code of a sync folder should 'inherit' that folder's advanced settings, plus the static IP of the host system that QR code is being generated on" is a better description of what I mean.

However, aside from encoding already defined hosts, could BTSync really not check if it runs behind a static IP? And if yes, on-the-fly encode that into the QR as well? I'm not admin nor programmer, but pretty much every computer I connected to a network so far could tell me whether it used a static IP or DCPH. I assume are ar OS APIs that programs can poll, no?

Well yes, you can determine whether your computer has it's address assigned statically or via DHCP. But the interesting point is whether your public IP (i.e. the one of the router your computer probably is behind) is static or not. And there even static IPs (in the sense that they don't change on every connection) are commonly assigned via DHCP.

My home PC has a static IP, but my internet connection does not.

My work PC has an IP assigned dynamically via DHCP, but our internet connection there has a static IP.

It's just not that simple.