How To Limit Syncing Only When Connected In Home Lan/wlan

at4roku1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I have gone through this some time ago and managed to get this working on BTsync 1.3.

Since when I moved to 1.4, though, I'm having again problems.

All my peers have windows and bt 1.4.

I see peers connected (and actually syncing) even if I'm in a completely different state. Restarting BTsync doesn't help.

How can I solve this?

I'm on a mobile connection and I only want a couple of folders to sync, not all of them.

Thanks

Nicola

@nickluck

Thanks for explanation. Your issue happens due to fact that Sync remembers last peers it was syncing to, so it can approach them even without LAN discovery or contacting Tracker or DHT. There is no explicit control which can reset the cached list, though you can do the following:

1) Open the preferences -> advanced -> more options

2) Set the "peer_expiration_days" to 1 (don't set it to zero, zero means - never setting it to zero means - "do not cache")

3) Sync will forget about your remote peers after nearly one day since last contact.

Edited by RomanZ
Updated information on "peer_expiration_days" value.

Will this actually work?

I switch on my laptop every day, so it will contact them daily.

Furthermore, do I have to set this on all 3 peers?

I connect from within a corporate network, so I guess my IP is fixed.

@nickluck

Thanks for explanation. Your issue happens due to fact that Sync remembers last peers it was syncing to, so it can approach them even without LAN discovery or contacting Tracker or DHT. There is no explicit control which can reset the cached list, though you can do the following:

1) Open the preferences -> advanced -> more options

2) Set the "peer_expiration_days" to 1 (don't set it to zero, zero means - never)

3) Sync will forget about your remote peers after nearly one day since last contact.

@nickluck

I've got some updated info - the "0" value means "Do not cache peers". So setting to 0 should help you. And - yes, this setting need to be applied to 3 of your laptops, otherwise other laptops will attempt to connect to your one (and succeed if IP did not change).

Also, it is advised not to leave "peer_expiration_days" as zero forever and set it back to some positive value after you reset cache successfully.