Can't Install In Ubuntu?

ryanhellyer

I can't find any installation instructions for the Linux installers.

Back when I first installed Bittorrent Sync in Ubuntu, I used a PPA provided by some kind person on the interwebz. Then my boss asked me to upgrade to the latest version, but the PPA didn't support it, so I removed my existing install and went to install via the download on bitorrent.com. But I have absolutely no idea how to install it and I can't find any installation instructions anywhere.

Is there something I'm missing here? I tried double clicking it, trying all sorts of different tutorials online on installing tar.gz files, but nothing would work.

I'm getting kinda desperate here as I badly need BitTorrent Sync up and working again.

Hopefully one of you can help! Thanks :)

Edited by ryanhellyer

The official package should be started via a command line with "/pathToBtsync/btsync".

However, you said you tried to double click on it so I assume you are not a sever system. You could try tuxpoldo package for desktop Linux systems which can be found here (and should be easier to install for you) :

http://forum.bittorrent.com/index.php?/topic/28106-Linux-Desktop-Gui-Unofficial-Packages-For-Bittorrent-Sync

I can't find any installation instructions for the Linux installers.

Back when I first installed Bittorrent Sync in Ubuntu, I used a PPA provided by some kind person on the interwebz. Then my boss asked me to upgrade to the latest version, but the PPA didn't support it, so I removed my existing install and went to install via the download on bitorrent.com. But I have absolutely no idea how to install it and I can't find any installation instructions anywhere.

Is there something I'm missing here? I tried double clicking it, trying all sorts of different tutorials online on installing tar.gz files, but nothing would work.

I'm getting kinda desperate here as I badly need BitTorrent Sync up and working again.

Hopefully one of you can help! Thanks :)

If the PPA does not update you to the latest version, it may be because you are using a version of Ubuntu that is not supported any more. The PPA is hosted by Launchpad, the Ubuntu Build service, and Launchpad does only provide repositories for supported versions of Ubuntu and the next upcoming version. At the time I write this, Supported Versions of Ubuntu are only 10.04 (Lucid), 12.04 (Precise) and 14.04 (Trusty). In addition Launchpad offers also repositories for the upcoming version 14.10 (Utopic). If you want to keep BitTorrent Sync up to date also for old versions of Ubuntu, you have to switch to the YeaSoft-Repository. See the initial posting of the server package topic or the desktop package topic for details. Please keep in mind, that the old legacy desktop package btsync-user is not working any more with the current version of BitTorrent Sync.