Create Folders Hidden From Windows And Linux Users

WeichertGriffin

Summary:

I want to create folders for syncing that are are hidden in Linux (.example) and hidden in Windows (.example with the -h attrib)

What is Bit Torrent doing to that initial .sync directory to make it hidden to all windows clients?

Details:

Linux Ubuntu 14.04 to/from Windows 7 and windows 8.1

The default .sync folder created when you set up BitTorrent Sync on a linux system propegates to all the sync'd systems.  It must be possible to create a hidden directory and then pass along the hidden attribute from linux to MS and back.

I am creating the Bittorrent share on a Ubuntu 14.04 server and them sharing them with windows users.  This allows me to create a backup repository for all their user files that they want to sync back onto the linux server .  I would also like to create a hidden folder on their machine so that I can add a dynamic link to some of their windows files, like their monster outlook email files, but I don't want that directory to be visible to them.  The last thing I need them to do is delete their own dynamically linked directories.

I can manually hide the directory on each windows machine, but that creates two problems.  If they add another computer to their sync, like their home pc, they can see the hidden directory on that PC now, since the -h attribute is not passed along,  Second it sure would be nice to do all the user set ups and directorys from the server rathter than having to hide directories on every machine manually.

I have tried the getfattr and setfattr commands with no success.  Maybe it's a syntax issue.

How can I create another hidden directory, like the .sync directory, on the linux server that will stay hidden to windows sync users?

@WeichertGriffin

MS and Linux hiding folders in different manner. In Linux starting dot is enough to make it hidden, while MS demands explicit attribute setting. Sync does not synchronize file attributes (only exception "execute" attr in Linux), so it won't hide files automatically.

The ".sync" folder is not actually synchronized. It created on every share and explicitly made hidden on Win machines by Sync. So - sorry, when adding new folder you have to make it hidden by some other means on Windows, Sync can't do it.

The ".sync" folder is not actually synchronized. It created on every share and explicitly made hidden on Win machines by Sync. So - sorry, when adding new folder you have to make it hidden by some other means on Windows, Sync can't do it.

This was my fear :(  That the .sync folder was created by the app rather than some file attribute propigating to the other shares.  Well I guess this ends up being a feature request.

BitTorrent needs to be able to mark folders and files with attributes that the software then passes along with the sync data to all the shares.