Sync Groups

MisterRider

As someone who has *many folders synced, and many *individual folders, I would love to see a "sync group" option.

For example, if I want to sync 8 folders on 3 laptops, I could call this group my "LOCAL CLOUD" - but then if I wanted to sync 4 other folders with outside folks, let's say I could call this group "CLIENT ACCESS" or some such.

This kind of sub-grouping would greatly aid my organisation.

Thanks!

T

But surely you can already do this!? i.e. add the 8 folders you want to sync between 3 laptops into a single folder, and then just share that one folder (and so by association, all its 8 sub folders as well), then add your other 4 folders into another single folder and share that as your "client access" group?

Well yes, if you can just move folders around at will, putting them all under one parent folder and syncing that will work.

If you can't, it won't.

I have the same problem on Android where I would like to sync several folders (some on internal storage, some on sd cards) per device with one central BTSync backup server. At the moment I have to have share each folder separately and with its own secret, which means the folder list on the server gets pretty crowded.

Anyone tried to use symlinks/hardlinks/whatever for that?

@Marko - no, because the folder structure is integral to my work environment. I can't modify this structure.

If I need to share a bunch of folders that are all spread out over different hard drives, it becomes quite a lot of entries to manage in the GUI. Perhaps a naming system could work? Color coding? Drag-and-drop style groups, etc... I work with a lot of media files, so I can't just throw everything in one folder and share that; I have to respect the structures and nomenclatures already in place.