Ignorelist And Subfolders - Doesn't Always Work

pjank

Hi!

Among others, I have a folder (about 70GB, thousands of files, about a dozen subfolders in the root folder and hundreds more underneath) synced between few computers. Most of them are Windows (1.4.93), one with Linux (1.4.99).

On one Windows laptop I need just a small subset of that folder, so... based on [http://sync-help.bittorrent.com/customer/portal/articles/1673122-ignoring-files-in-sync-ignorelist-] I've set it up to exclude few subfolders, similar to this:

\200?

\2010

\2011

\2012

\2013

\2014\2014-01*

\others

And this kinda works... if updating the file while btsync is running. But once I restart Sync, it starts to download *everything*. I've tried it for many times:

- shut down Sync

- delete all unwanted subfolders

- launch Sync again

- few seconds "loading", connecting to peers etc.. few more secs later *all* the other subfolders show up again (empty so far)... few more seconds later - it starts "Receiving" and filling up the folders with files I don't need.

- open up IgnoreList in notepad, hit "Save"  (no change, just saving the file again)

- suddenly "Receiving" stops, all is well again... until I need to reboot the laptop for example.

I've tried different formats for IgnoreList, like this:

200?\*

2010\*

2014\2014-01*

others\*

No change.

I've also tried changing backslash to forward slash, or using both (each line duplicated with both: windows or linux directory separator). That doesn't help either.

But this simple one:

200?

2014-01*

others

This one WORKS! ALMOST :-)

The problem is - it's not exactly, what I need. I only want to ignore e.g. "others" root folder, not an "others" subfolder anywhere deeper in the structure, nor an "others" file somewhere inside.

I would really prefer to have it work the way it's described in the manual - all the time, including at application startup.

BTW. The logs (even debug) don't show anything interesting about parsing the IgnoreList file. Except the moment, when it detects a file update and logs "updated ignore list".

Thanks for listening,

PJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I'm surprised nobody confirmed nor denied this bug. Was my previous post too long/complicated? ;)

Let me simplify...

I've recently switched to Linux on my laptop and can still reproduce the problem (so it wasn't Windows-specific), also on a different - much smaller folder.  All clients upgraded to 1.4.103.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Create "test" directory in a shared folder.

2) Edit .sync/IgnoreList, add a line: "/test" (linux) or "\test" (windows)

3) Add a file "test/1.txt" on a remote computer...

It's not propagated to the local computer - good - "ignore" works so far...

4) Restart the local btsync client...
The file "test/1.txt" suddenly shows up - WRONG - this was not supposed to happen!

Today I've noticed that adding another change in that "test" directory on the remote computer (like creating next file, e.g. "test/2.txt") is not propagated at this moment. Only after a next restart of the local client. So I assume the bug exists only during the application startup (initial connecting to peers, maybe indexing folder?)... and only until the IgnoreList file is modified (see my first post). After that - everything works fine.

Also - it affects only remote changes. Local updates to the "ignored" folder are always ignored as they should be.

Greetings,
PJ