Non-'my Devices' Sharing

jake.sadie

Perhaps I'm confused by how this is supposed to be working, but it appears that when I connect two computers together in 'My Devices' anything shared on device A will automatically be shared/made available on device B in the default directory of device B. This is not ideal for a number of reasons:

1. What if I want to share something from device A that is in a subdirectory (see my earlier post)?

2. What if I want to sync something from device A to device B but I really don't want to sync it in Device B's 'default folder location'? For example, I sync my music directories across a few computers and I really don't want them to be in My Documents but I'd rather save them in C:\music

3. What if I want to share something not with my devices but with someone else only?

To get around these situations I have to share from one device, allow the ghost directory to be seen in the other device, and change the desired directory of second device if that's what I want to do. What's worse - I can't disconnect a folder from just one device because it disconnects that folder from all of my devices.

Feature request: if you are going to encourage me to pair my devices (I see the value in that), you should create a feature that allows me to initiate a share on device A as a 'non-my devices' share. This would allow me to start exclusive shares with other devices as well as create new shares between a selection of my devices. I could also create a 'non-my devices' share on device A and still connect to it with device B, but I would be able to control where it syncs rather than being tied to the default folder location.

Jake,

My devices is designed in a way that you have ability to add folder, that is added on different computer. Folder is not added, nor data is transferred. This is default behavior. In preferences you could change it, so folder will be added in Connected (only placeholders will be added) or Synced (All data will be synchronized). Just go to My Devices | This device 

If you have a much complex environment, you could use links and don't join devices via My Devices. 

kos

Jake,

My devices is designed in a way that you have ability to add folder, that is added on different computer. Folder is not added, nor data is transferred. This is default behavior. In preferences you could change it, so folder will be added in Connected (only placeholders will be added) or Synced (All data will be synchronized). Just go to My Devices | This device 

If you have a much complex environment, you could use links and don't join devices via My Devices. 

kos

Thanks for the reply, but you did not address any of my clearly stated concerns or comments. I understand how the currently normal behavior of 'my devices' operates, but the point of adding this comment is the 'Feature Request' sub-thread was to request a feature rather than be told I'm not using the software properly.

I have reached the current limits of the software's capabilities and I would like it to be extended via new features, as I clearly described.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, but you did not address any of my clearly stated concerns or comments. I understand how the currently normal behavior of 'my devices' operates, but the point of adding this comment is the 'Feature Request' sub-thread was to request a feature rather than be told I'm not using the software properly.

I have reached the current limits of the software's capabilities and I would like it to be extended via new features, as I clearly described.

So, just to be clear, no response means my request is invalid, you are taking it under consideration, or you find it uninteresting?

I really was curious to hear your feedback.

@jake.sadie

All the requests in 2.0 forums are reviewed and filed (if they are new and non-duplicating). It just takes time to process everything and respond.

For #1 and #2 your requests - you can choose arriving folders location if your "My devices" setting shows folders as "Available" by default. Then you can choose whatever location you want when hitting "Connect". Does it works for you?

For the request #3 - it looks very similar to one of your initial posts asking to hide some of folders you never want to see on some of your "My devices" mesh. I.e. it could be covered with "Don't show me this folder anymore" function, correct?

@RomanZ

First, from you last response, if I understand what you mean correctly, I should be able to edit the 'Default folder location' value in the 'My Devices' setting when my current device is set to 'Available'. This is not the case. Indeed, when I select 'Available', the 'Default folder location' goes grey and is unable to be edited. This sounds more like a bug, unless of course I am misunderstanding your instructions. Please advise.

Now, here is a summary of what I understand as my current options for the three numbered points I made in the original post:

1: The directory structure will not be copied by default.

(I don't think anyone ever explicitly answered this, so I am going to assume this is the case and give up on you ever answering.)

2: If I want to share a folder from device A with device B, using 'My Devices', then the folder in device B will initially appear in the 'default folder location' of device B and I cannot get around this a priori. However, if I want to move the folder to a different location on device B once it is synced or connected, I need only cut and paste it elsewhere and it will work.

(This was a feature many of us did not know was available and I found this out by reading a different thread in the Sync 2.0 forum.)

3. If I share multiple folders from device A and connect device B using 'My Devices', I cannot opt to only see a subset of those folders in device B, currently. You offered a 'Don't show me this folder anymore' feature, which is indeed something I would be interested in. Alas, this is NOT the specific feature I was requesting. In this case, device B is controlling what to sync.

Finally, please return to the original post and re-read the bolded feature request paragraph. I requested, to explain this in different words, that I would be able to create a folder on device A that is not automatically added into the 'My Devices' mesh of directories. To (and this is getting painful to repeat so many times) explain again, I would like to create a set of folders and say to myself, "Hey, I would really like those folders to be synced with all of my devices, so I will add them to the my devices mesh". Then, I would like to create another folder and say, "Hey, this really shouldn't be shared on my corporate server, so I just want to share this with my personal devices". For that second directory, I would consider this a 'non-My Devices share' (hence the title of this thread) and I would share it using the keys a la Sync 1.4 and earlier. The difference here is that device A controls what is visible to any other devices linked in 'My Devices'. It would be painful to return to the keys at this point, but it would work.

Feature Request #2: Taking the last long and drawn out paragraph into consideration, I would like to request a new feature (something I hinted at in another thread at some point). 'My Devices' is essentially a 'mesh', to use a term you chose. I don't want to be restricted to one mesh. Can you consider adding the feature/functionality to have multiple meshes. Recalling my example above, I would immediately create a 'my personal mesh' and 'my corporate mesh' upon setting up BT Sync on all of my devices.

@jake.sadie

This is not the case. Indeed, when I select 'Available', the 'Default folder location' goes grey and is unable to be edited. This sounds more like a bug, unless of course I am misunderstanding your instructions. Please advise.

When you choose "Available" there is no need in default folder. All new folders will just appear in the list (no actual syncing) and you need to click "Connect" button explicitly to start your device syncing this folder. And once you do so - Sync will ask you the location you want to save this folder to.

1: The directory structure will not be copied by default.

(I don't think anyone ever explicitly answered this, so I am going to assume this is the case and give up on you ever answering.)

The default directory structure is not copied. I understand what you want to achieve, for now - please try using the "Connect" workaround I described above.

2: If I want to share a folder from device A with device B, using 'My Devices', then the folder in device B will initially appear in the 'default folder location' of device B and I cannot get around this a priori.

You need to set default new folder behavior to "Available" - see above. Also note, that moving folder works only within one single logical drive / partition boundaries only.

3. If I share multiple folders from device A and connect device B using 'My Devices', I cannot opt to only see a subset of those folders in device B, currently. You offered a 'Don't show me this folder anymore' feature, which is indeed something I would be interested in. Alas, this is NOT the specific feature I was requesting. In this case, device B is controlling what to sync. [...]

I see what you are saying. You want some of folders be not available for "My devices" mesh at all. Thanks for explaining.

To (and this is getting painful to repeat so many times) explain again, [...]

Please be patient. If I keep asking questions - something is still unclear and needs to be elaborated.

It is now clear with Feature Request #1 and #2. We'll consider both for future releases.