Sync Pro Corrupting Vmware Workstation Vmdk Files

2disbetter

Is there something I need to know about the sync state? Does it lock down files at the OS level? The VM says it can't open a certain vmdk after syncing although it is right there. 

I know this seems vague, but after rebuilding the VM I'm not keen on trying to replicate the issue. I'm trying to see if I start using snapshot and all changes are saved in new files if that will help with the sync corruption. (If corruption is in fact what is going on here.)

Thanks for any and all help. 

2d

Upon further investigation it appears to be moving files that haven't been deleted into the archive. These files are still necessary to the VM. I'm not sure why this is occuring, but I turned off the archive feature, and I'm hoping this may correct the problem.

Thoughts woudl be great. 

2d

It's a mess. It seems to be the archive feature indeed. But something is trigging it to archive files that aren't deleted. I almost feel life the file lock workstation starts when you open workstation and are looking at the VM is causing sync to think the files are deleted when they aren't. 

This is a pretty serious bug as it's crippling my VM files. 

If I can't get this resolved I'm going to have to drop BT Sync. (Which I REALLY don't want to do)

2d

Hi 2d,

Sync does not lock files or open for exclusive use. Although, if some other application will attempt to open the file for exclusive use, OS will reject such a request as it is already open by Sync. Sync distinguishes deleted and locked files, so it shouldn't be the reason.

If you still have the environement running - I'll be happy to take a look at your debug logs and ".journal" files. We can also try to reproduce it in our lab if you let me know your VMWare Workstation version.