Mobile Dj - 3 Drives Synced Via External.

djmatteo

I am a mobile DJ, my music library was located on the C, D and M drives on my laptop.    I use virtual DJ so each drive also contains a folder with vital xml database files in addition to my itunes database.    For years my backups were absolutely terrible and after a fire claimed most of my DJ gear I opted to do something about it. 

After lots of trial and error I eventually found BTsync, but it took awile before the solution on how I could mirror the paths came to me.  My solution was to buy a 2 TB external desktop hard drive, then I took this drive and I partitioned it to be about the same size as the drives I was going to sync and gave them the same drive letters as the laptop, I also and made 3 or 4 additional partitions to allow me to easily upgrade the laptop in the future and have drive letters available should I need them.  

So I have synced my laptop which was about 1 TB of music, 3 virtual dj folders containing VITAL database files, 1 itunes folder.  These files root out of my personal and dayjob PCs, my DJ laptop and I have 1 remote computer set to read only at home syncing ALL this data as read only to a external. 

I will be honest, it was very hard to manage this many files under the pressure I was under, I tried to do to much to fast and paid for it each and every time.   I am glad I stuck with it, I can see this being a vital tool for me and my DJ growth.   

I certainly have my list of things I dont like (mostly related to firewall, router and config issues), the good outweighs the bad by far!!!

• 1 month later...

Yo DJ! That's a great use for BTSync and I wish I had your library of 1TB of tunes!

One suggestion would be to make sure you keep an offline backup / cold storage...it must be disconnected. If something were to go wrong on one of your machines that corrupted some of the audio or database files, it would get replicated to the others and cause you headaches. Cryptowall or other ransomware for example.

Had a friend that had an elaborate backup process in place with network attached storage, cloud backup, etc. Some of their files got corrupted at some point, and it just replicated to all the other backups and they didn't notice quickly enough to have an older still clean version.

Sean

Worldwide Voiceover Talent

http://www.seancaldwell.com

I am a mobile DJ, my music library was located on the C, D and M drives on my laptop. I use virtual DJ so each drive also contains a folder with vital xml database files in addition to my itunes database. For years my backups were absolutely terrible and after a fire claimed most of my DJ gear I opted to do something about it.

After lots of trial and error I eventually found BTsync, but it took awile before the solution on how I could mirror the paths came to me. My solution was to buy a 2 TB external desktop hard drive, then I took this drive and I partitioned it to be about the same size as the drives I was going to sync and gave them the same drive letters as the laptop, I also and made 3 or 4 additional partitions to allow me to easily upgrade the laptop in the future and have drive letters available should I need them.

So I have synced my laptop which was about 1 TB of music, 3 virtual dj folders containing VITAL database files, 1 itunes folder. These files root out of my personal and dayjob PCs, my DJ laptop and I have 1 remote computer set to read only at home syncing ALL this data as read only to a external.

I will be honest, it was very hard to manage this many files under the pressure I was under, I tried to do to much to fast and paid for it each and every time. I am glad I stuck with it, I can see this being a vital tool for me and my DJ growth.

I certainly have my list of things I dont like (mostly related to firewall, router and config issues), the good outweighs the bad by far!!!

[OT]

Matteo is an Italian name, you're Italian? :)