Trouble With Placeholders

Joe Tonge

I recently upgraded to 2.0 and really like the direction it's headed. I have a large movie database on my home computer (>4 TB) and selective sync is exactly what I needed to sync only certain files to my smaller devices with less storage capacity.

However, I am having a few issues with the way placeholder files work - maybe I'm trying to do something I'm not supposed to do, I don't know. Here's the issue:

The movie folder on my main computer syncs all the subfolder and placeholder files successfully to my laptop. Then I start moving some of the placeholder files around on my laptop to better organize the directory. I create new subfolders, rename some existing folders and also rename some of the placeholder files (maintaining the original file extension and ".bts"). The sync results seem inconsistent and sporadic. Some of the changes I make on my laptop seem to propagate successfully back to the main computer, but some files simply disappear and ultimately end up in the ".sync\Archive\" folder as deleted files (thank God they don't completely vanish).

I'm trying to figure out what the limitations are for placeholder files. Ideally, I would like to see placeholder files act just like actual files - as long as the .bts extension remains unchanged, moves and renames get propagated correctly. I don't want to have to fully sync every file I want to adjust just to reorganize my library.

Any thoughts/insights would be much appreciated.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for writing to us about this. We are aware of a few issues around this which should be resolved soon, however our testing indicates that you should be able to move files within their parent Sync folder with few problems. Can you verify that you are moving them within the same parent sync folder? If so, please file a bug using the feedback tool in the app so that you can easily attach some logs for our support team to debug - App Options (settings gear) > Help... > Contact support

Thanks,

Daniel