Any Settings That I Should Change To Improve Performance When Renaming Files?

tjluoma

1. I am going to be renaming/re-organizing a large number of of large files.

2. All of the files, as they exist right now, are already on 3 different Macs which are spread across the Internet.

3. The 3 Macs are are already in full sync via BTS (2.0.105).

4. Given that some of these files are several GB large (video files), I do not want to them to re-sync, I want BTS to say "Hey, 'File A' is now know as 'This Is A Much Better Name.ext' so please rename accordingly.

Is there anything I can/should do to make sure that change happens as efficiently as possible?

Sync should detect a simple file rename within a folder location its monitoring, and rename other instances on your corresponding devices accordingly, rather than seeing it as a "new" file and transferring the entire file again - is this not happening?

Judging by the 'Status' line in the app, it appears to be re-transferring, but OTOH I don't see duplicates in .sync/Archive/ which I would expect if they were being "replaced".

Maybe it just appears to be re-transferring but it's actually just going through a renaming process. It seems slower than I'd expect.

Judging by the 'Status' line in the app, it appears to be re-transferring, but OTOH I don't see duplicates in .sync/Archive/ which I would expect if they were being "replaced".

Maybe it just appears to be re-transferring but it's actually just going through a renaming process. It seems slower than I'd expect.

What do the Receiving/Sending columns show? If they're blank but the "Status" line is showing something, it's a likely indication that Sync is simply refreshing its index of the folder post-rename.

I turned those columns on, and today I confirmed that it _is_ re-downloading some files that are well over 100 MB in size, after I moved those files to a new sub-folder. I also configured that by looking at the window which shows which files are being downloaded and from where.

For some reason, BTS did not recognize that those files just needed to be moved/renamed, and re-downloaded them instead.