Circumvent Selective Sync On Linux

mintwurm

Apparently selective sync is unavailable on Linux, even in the pro version.

How do I connect a Linux laptop to my sync network without flooding the ssd ?

I would like to sync documents, pictures, movies and music. The notebook has 256GB. No way this is going to fit.

Even if I split the movies folder in half, its twice as big as the ssd.

How do you do this ?

Do you use Linux at all ?

Do you use sync for huge files ?

Without selective sync, the entire use case of a private cloud for huge files becomes impossible.

Way too much overhead.

If there's only the API, I'll just ssh on my server and use rsync to get the files.

Well thanks for the advice, but I still think it's outragious that you have to hack together a solution to get a basic feature put of CROSS PLATFORM SOFTWARE.

Not your fault, I don't want to sound ungrateful. The api really is good advice.

I use a folder on my raspberry to drop movies and video or other large files, when done i move them to another folder on the raspberry wich is not syncing, so those files are removed from my laptop or desktop disk but I can still access them via NFSv3.

My laptop and desktop are both opensuse.

• 1 month later...

Selective Sync needs to be added to the Linux version especially for the Pro license. I too am using a Linux based laptop with several Raspberry Pi's and I don't want to keep large files all over the place, especially videos. I'm a Pro user and really not too keen on having to pay for the API to add this one single but "major" feature. 

Is there a page where the folks at BTSync keep up to date that will let us know what might be coming in the future? I haven't found one as of yet and it would be nice to know what's in the pipeline.

Selective Sync needs to be added to the Linux version...

Is there a page where the folks at BTSync keep up to date that will let us know what might be coming in the future? I haven't found one as of yet and it would be nice to know what's in the pipeline.

There isn't a published public "roadmap" as such, as sometimes features may take longer to implement than anticipated, and so it would disappoint users if it was stated somewhere that a particular feature would be included in a certain release, only for it to then end up being delayed until a later release.

However, I think you will be happy with the forthcoming 2.3 release! ;)