partial torrents

ivarson

If I have a really big Sync-share with files downloaded via a torrent client on it, (and FS notifications still turned on)

would there be any overhead synced with BTSync?

I just told my torrentclient to append a temp. extension to incomplete downloads and added that extension to IgnoreList within the share ( .!ut ).

But since there's many small changes all the time ( less than 1000 mb which is default upper limit for patching in Sync),

would Sync actually keep patching only the affected bits?

i dont pre-allocate files, or download sequential if that matters?

ivarson, it's better to add "*.!ut" into ignore list then Sync will ignore all files with that extension because just ".ut" will prevent Sync from synchronizing only ".!ut" file.

When files are ignored Sync won't synchronize them with another peers. And because they are ignored Sync won't patch temporary files.

Usually Sync patches files by portions or chunks. So file is divided on chunks and Sync checks if chunk is changed or not. It means that if number of chunks is the same (or to simplify: file size in bytes) then only different chunks of the file will be updated.

If file size is different then number of chunks will be different too. In that case if some bits were inserted between chunks Sync will consider that chunks were changed and will transfer all chunks starting from the inserted place, before that place chunks won't be transferred if they were not changed.