Security of the webgui

JamieKitson

• 3 weeks later...

When we want to use PI oustide, we have to open (and forward) ports for SSH on our routers. As I know it is visible outside for others, that a port is opened here. Does it menas that more "hackers" will try get in and - finally - our internet connection will be more jammed than when we have all ports closed? Will our bandwidth get slowly?

Thanks in advance!

@abramq In short: If you are not forwarding wide ranges of ports it is pretty much safe, the extra load is minimal.

In details: "visibility" of forwarded ports depends on where it is forwarded to and usually is checked with TCP handshake sequence. Your router plays rather passive role here, i.e. if there is no one responses from the location where forwarding points to, no one will know that port is open. The handshake itself is very lightweight, so even if you'll get scanned all the time from internet (which is very unlikely), it won't throttle your connection.

The main thing I would care about is to ensure that your PI has static IP and your DHCP server is aware of that. Otherwise, you may get your SSH port forwarded to some entity in your network that you may not want to expose.

1 hour ago, RomanZ said:

@abramq In short: If you are not forwarding wide ranges of ports it is pretty much safe, the extra load is minimal.

In details: "visibility" of forwarded ports depends on where it is forwarded to and usually is checked with TCP handshake sequence. Your router plays rather passive role here, i.e. if there is no one responses from the location where forwarding points to, no one will know that port is open. The handshake itself is very lightweight, so even if you'll get scanned all the time from internet (which is very unlikely), it won't throttle your connection.

The main thing I would care about is to ensure that your PI has static IP and your DHCP server is aware of that. Otherwise, you may get your SSH port forwarded to some entity in your network that you may not want to expose.

Thank you, very clear now :-)