Mac - Lost Sync Folders after updating to 2.3.6

MalReed

After updating to 2.3.6 (I believe it was updating from the previous version) on my Mac, my folders have gone from the list of shares. It's empty. I can see the directories on disk but if I try to add them I get this Confirmation pop up message. "This folder is already owned by another Sync instance. Do you want to reset ownership?" 

Questions:

Why would my folders disappear? 

Can I get them back?

What exactly does the 'ownership' confirmation message mean and should I reset ownership to resolve the issues?

Cheers.

I tried resetting ownership on one of my folders. It removed all the peers. I was able to re-link it with the other machine and it only took a few mins to update the metadata. So it seems that it resets as a new share without any links to peers. Would be handy if the confirmation notice mentioned that :) 

Not a fix doing it that way but not a disaster either. 

@MalReed

This is a known issue for 2.3.0-2.3.3 - not saving the folders correctly, Thus when you were updating to 2.3.6 (where this issue is fixed), older 2.3.x reproduced the bug. 

"Is owned by another Sync instance" message means that in the folder there ./sync/ID file remaining. So Sync thinks that this folder is added to a Sync instance, not self. You can just press OK, or remove the ID file from the share. 

@all f you haven't backuped  your storage before updating, only manually adding folders back is left. We're sorry for the problems caused. 

Exact same issue here except that I can't figure out how to add the lost folders. When I hit "OK", the folder appears in the list again but it says 0 peers and does not start syncing. My IT guy is on vacation until Monday. The folder that still remained after the update is still able to sync. Is there a way for me to use that link to copy and paste to set it up? I cannot figure out how to connect to/set up peer so that my remaining/disappeared folders can sync once again. Please help. Thank you!

@meghan

It actually depends on what exactly setup you want to achieve. In general you need to use the link/key from the other peer, put it to "Manual connection" on your device and connect. If that remote peer has Owner access to the share (advanced), it'll be able to share the folder with you. If not , you need to do it other way round : add the folder to Sync on your computer and share the key with remote peer. 

Anyway, please see this detailed guide on sharing the folder.