Large log files

besweeet

in Sync settings -> advanced -> poweruser, you can:

1) disable journaling. 

2) decrease log_ttl, it's now 7 days, put some 2. 

3) decrease log size, it's now 100 (Mb), put less, any. 

Restart Sync after editing poweruser settings. 

You can also disable logging at all, in Sync Settings -> Advanced. But, if you encounter an issue (hope that won't happen), that will not be logged and support will have less chances to get to the cause of the problem. 

You can safely delete all sync.log, sync.log####.zip, *.journal and journal.zip files. Stop Sync, delete these, start Sync. 

I forgot to mention that there's also high CPU usage. Your suggestion helped reduce its size, though the log file continues to grow (at a slow pace now) while eating CPU usage. I have BTS installed on two other locations (basically as pull instances, only pulling in changed data from the main server, which is the one having log file and CPU issues), and those two always use 0% usage.

Here are the latest repeat lines in the new log file:

[2016-08-10 09:48:27] SF[A6D3]: Not loading torrents - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-08-10 09:48:27] ScheduledTask: "ConnectMorePeers" invoked: timer, reason:ConnectMorePeers - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-08-10 09:48:27] SF[63B8]: Not loading torrents - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-08-10 09:48:27] ScheduledTask: "ConnectMorePeers" invoked: timer, reason:ConnectMorePeers - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-08-10 09:48:27] SF[96C9]: Not loading torrents - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-08-10 09:48:28] SF[A6D3]: Not loading torrents - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-08-10 09:48:28] ScheduledTask: "ConnectMorePeers" invoked: timer, reason:ConnectMorePeers - sync is paused or fc error

Sync is paused, and only unpaused when new files / changes need to be pushed out to the other two instances. The CPU usage now is relatively minor, but it's still a slight annoyance considering the other two instances use zero.

Edited by besweeet

then CPU is likely not related to log writing. You can disable logging at all and see if CPU usage will go down, but i doubt that. 

What version you have on these three machines, is it all 2.3.8? Check the problematic machine's log for lines like "will verify that drive is mounted.....".  Contact support in any case and submit logs (enable them back before that!). Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Helen said:

then CPU is likely not related to log writing. You can disable logging at all and see if CPU usage will go down, but i doubt that. 

What version you have on these three machines, is it all 2.3.8? Check the problematic machine's log for lines like "will verify that drive is mounted.....".  Contact support in any case and submit logs (enable them back before that!). Thanks.

All have just been updated to 2.3.6, which is what the browser UI downloaded via the notification popup in the upper-right of the UI. I don't see any lines in the log regarding verifying if a drive was mounted.

I actually just noticed something different on the problematic VM... I use Firefox to display the web UI, and when the tab is active, BTSync.exe will constantly use 3% CPU usage. If I switch to a different tab in the same browser window, BTSync.exe will go down to 0% usage... I guess I'll just switch to an about:blank tab so that the CPU usage stays at 0% until I actually need to use it.

3 minutes ago, Helen said:

frankly speaking we never had this problem with tab in foreground, and I've just rechecked and it doesn't reproduce win v 2.3.6 in FF on virtual machine. when idling CPU is 0%.  I guess you have a lot of folders in Sync? 

There are quite a few folders and files. 3 separate WordPress installations are being synced. The other 2 instances that are used as pull servers always use 0%.