Folder size not correctly displayed

DiBe

Hello dear forum ...

I have a synced folder on my PC and my Qnap NAS. Size was about 120 GB, 30.000 files. No problem so far. Then I copied additional files into the folder on the PC, bringing it up to a total of 48.000 files and 260 GB. As expected Sync jumped into action and started to copy files over the network to the synced folder on the NAS. But then I thought this is going to take a long time this way. I paused Sync, and copied all the additional files also directly to the NAS via an external drive. Then I restarted Sync, expecting it to figure out that all files are in both folders now. Indeed, after some indexing and minimal send/receive action, the activity settled down and the two clients seemed happy. Except that the foldersize on both sides is shown as only 132 GB in the clients instead of the 260 GB that both folders really have. So I am worried now. What can I do to correct this and/or verify that all content is being monitored and will be kept in sync. Since then a number of "indexing" phases went by and I also copied some additional files on one side that were correctly synced to the other. But the folder size remains 132 GB in both client views instead of 260 GB. What could be wrong?

Thanks,

Dirk

OK, so I have an update on this. The files that make up the difference between the 260 GB size of the actual folder and the 132 GB displyed in the clients are all in the .sync folder - on both systems. But I guess I don't understand why that happened. I understand that the .sync folder contains files that were deleted on another system or replaced/versioned files. But I have done neither. So why were the files moved to this folder and what would I need to do next time to prevent this. Here is the sequence of events again:

1. two systems with 120 GB each in sync
  2. copied additional files worth 140 GB to one system for a total of 260 GB
  3. replication started until the second system was up to 132 GB
  4. I paused replication
  5. copied the additional files also to the second system using an external drive, so in theory both folders would now have the same files.
  6. restarted replication
  7. And now, for a reason that I don't understand, all files that I had manually copied on to the second system were moved to the .sync folder - on both systems!

What should I have done differently to avoid this?

Thanks,

Dirk

On 2/21/2017 at 10:52 PM, DiBe said:

copied the additional files also to the second system using an external drive, so in theory both folders would now have the same files.

I guess , when copying, you've picked to replace or even manually deleted the files that got already synced? 
Sync cannot place files to Archive on both systems at the same time. If the files are initially deleted from one of them they are moved to archive on the other only.
There are some details missing, cause with these steps only the problem does not appear in the lab.  
Support team will need debug logs from your both systems, cause this is not expected behavior and needs investigation. But I'm afraid that logs got already rotated and no longer keep records of that day.