slow speeds on gigabit connection btw 2 fast hosts, tried with 3rd computer works great...

Wolfie

Dear all,
I've  been having issues syncing between my freenas server and my offsite location where i do backup to from. I have a gigabit connection to the internet at both locations, and i have transferred using FTP and http between them at 10+ mbits/sec. Now whats been going  on between these two computers is that they seem to transfer at 200-600k and they have periods where it speeds up to 4-5mbits and then it comes back down to 200-500k. The other weird behaviour is the the send and receive on both machines goes from 1-3% (there's 20 gigs in there), even when i leave it on for 48 hours, it resets back to 0% or 1%.... I've been checking resource usage on both machines, and its super low. So I installed on my desktop resilio and i shared two different folders with the freenas machine and the offsite machine. Both transferred 100% fine, and at great speeds (my desktop is on same network as freenas server), local transfer was 30 mbits/sec, and transfer to offsite server was ~15 mbits sustained, and both transfers showed correct percentages for % of transfer done. I've tried the following:

- Different folders (no diff) (its not folder issue, whatever folders i share between freenas/offsite have same issue, no matter how many files or gbs are inside)

- Set to TCP from UDP by changing debug.txt, it seems to be a bit faster but it acts the same way and not as the desktop/server connection as i tested.

- checked resource usage on all machines and all are capable (Xeons), local transfer used ~25% between desktop/servers that worked great.

The freenas version is 2.44, and the offsite version is 2.45. I don't know if there is way to upgrade freenas version. The offsite server is run by another company and I can ask them to modify whatever is required on their machine. I went through debug.txt to see what i can, i found following odd or useful in logfiles (the file error in freenas is one every file):

on remote server:
Trash: GetFileList failed for folder "/home/disk5/mzivkovich/.sync/License/4052/.sync/Streams" - error 2
CoreState: Total memory: 270463094784, used by Sync: 31678464, percentage used: 0.01

on freenas server:
[20170511 10:42:22.298] TF[05A1] [0x0000000803ef3700][/mnt/DATA/downloads/offsite/FILENAME.XXX]: state:DOWNLOAD error: meta:1 conns:0 io:0
[20170511 14:39:35.760] SRPEH[undefined]: bad shareID (STATE_BEGIN)
[20170511 14:39:35.760] D! 10SyncTcpReq[0x000000080246ef00]: EOF or error occurred -  code: 53, message: "SyncEncryptHandler"

Any guidance would be appreciated, the download error is on every file in the log (its huge!) and i assume this is somewhere where problem is... permissions i think are fine, because files download just very slowly.. ... Thanks for the help

I had this problem some time ago between a linux server and windows,
I applied the correction of the client support on my server linux and this corrected my problem of speed

" " Haley WebbFebruary 27, 2017 09:02

Hello,

Thank you for the report. 
Peers are located in different networks, right? 
We have checked the logs, and there are no any errors - files are just being synced at a max speed available at the given moment. We've noticed though that speed usually drops when peers connect over UDP protocol, so it's possible that ISP might be shaping the traffic. you can force TCP only: stop Sync, go to storage folder, find file debug.txt, open it and put 2 as the second line instead of 0 (zero) there. Start Sync. Do that on both peers. 

If that does not help, revert it back to zero and give more details about your network. Is there any reason why DEDIBOX considers its local and public IP the same - 195.154.xx.xx?  " "