Difference between Resilio Sync FREE and BTSync 1.4.111?

krtaylor

I've used BitTorrent Sync 1.4.111 on my family network for years, with some extremely large shares.  I am considering upgrading to Resilio Sync Free.  But I haven't been able to find a clear description of the features this version offers, especially as compared to the old BitTorrent Sync.

It looks like the pro versions of Resilio offer some interesting features that may be worthwhile to upgrade to if I find the base product works well, but before I go to the great deal of time and trouble to switch over, I need to make sure I won't run into some artificial limitation like number of shares or size of file.

Also, can Resilio Sync work with shares with BitTorrent Sync - that is, other nodes which have not yet been upgraded?  Or does everything have to be upgraded all at once for it to work?

Thanks.

Sync 2.x.x that is using another folder sharing methods - copying link (standard) vs Public Key infrastructure (advanced) and ssl connection in Resilio Sync.

Instead of using keys, Resilio Sync makes use of an X.509 digital certificate, which ensures that such operations as adding peers, sharing folders, revoking access to folders, etc are done in a secure way. SSL is used to provide security for peer data exchange over network.

But still, with Sync 1.4 all your data is encrypted and transferred via encrypted channels. 

As for the functionality please do pay attention on this article.

I need to make sure I won't run into some artificial limitation like number of shares or size of file.

Ther eis no any limit in size of files.  In Sync v 1.4 there is indeed limit of 50 peers that can be connected to a share at a time but in Resilio Sync  there a limit to the number of torrents that can be in work at a moment. It means 100 simultaneous torrents for Sync transfer.

You can share 1.4 vs standard folders only between those versions.

Thanks, this is very helpful.  How do I upgrade from BitTorrent Sync 1.4.111 to Resilio Sync?  I read the forums and it sounded like an install of Resilio would automatically upgrade BitTorrent Sync 1.4.111, so I downloaded your installer - but when I ran it, it just installed Resilio on its own, as well as BitTorrent Sync 1.4.111.  How do I get it to do the upgrade, or move the settings and existing folders over?

I found this instruction page on upgrading

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/211928186-Upgrade-on-desktops-BitTorrent-Sync-Resilio-Sync-

which says it should take care of it automatically, but if not, I could just copy the settings over.  I did this, but it made no difference - Resilio still started up fresh, knowing nothing about my previous shares.

Thanks.

@krtaylor Not good idea to upgrade from te olderst version to resilio Sync app. I have tested on my side and I couldn't. Better to install it from scratch and add folder in Sync but connect them with already existing shares to avoid additional resyncong. Steps are here.

The upgrade instruction mentioned relates to BitTorrent Sync 2.x not to 1.4.111 app version.

Well, I started Resilio, and used "Enter a key or link" to add some folders of existing 1.4 shares.  Unfortunately, it's not working - it doesn't seem to realize that these are existing shares with existing peers already.  It doesn't see the peers and they can't see me.  Is there something special I need to do, to get Resilio Sync Home to cooperate with peers running 1.4.111?

>edit< Never mind, I uninstalled and reinstalled Resilio and tried again, and now it seems to be working.  Huh.