If you run Sync as a service, you can manage it remotely across a LAN

jdrch

Not sure why I never thought of this before, but I don't recall seeing anyone else talk about it, or reading it in the documentation. Additionally, a Google search turned up nothing.

You can access Sync's Web UI running on any machine on your LAN by entering ThatMachinesIPaddress:8888/gui.

As a corollary to this: if you use Sync as a service do set a UI password, otherwise you run the risk of giving anyone (including malicious apps) access to your config and files, which is really bad.

This is generally a firewall thing and outside the scope of the app developers themselves.  Most people behind a NAT router isn't going to have this problem.  On my public VPS running sync, I had to open the port to access it.  Home users will generally be put into a Home profile and public computers into the public profile. So by default, LAN users will be seen as friendly to the computer but not public ones.

47 minutes ago, jdrch said:

I didn't mean it's a security risk. It's actually convenient because it means you can admin Sync from any device on the same LAN, which is neat. Plenty of other apps allow this: Pi-hole, UniFi Controller; your router, modem, and AP, etc.

Hmm. I guess it was just obvious since they had this for NAS'.  Search the forum for "webgui" and there's hits from 2013, 2014...

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001184490-Configuring-WebUI-