Can't create READ-ONLY folder

David.P

Hi,

I add a new folder on my source PC and choose "Read-Only".

Instantly, the folder appears (and starts syncing) on all my devices -- as "Standard Folder - Read and Write".

Why is that so, and how can I create a folder that syncs in "Read-Only" mode, i.e. where it is made sure that the client/target devices can't change the content of that folder?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, David.P said:

but it says "Read-Only" even in your screenshot.

It says Read-Only link, key or QR code. It's not about read-only folder.

5 minutes ago, David.P said:

Too bad that it doesn't seem to be possible to do One-Way sync (among your own devices) with Sync!

What's wrong with using read-only key to share a folder?

It allows you to sync files one-way among any devices you want.

So, I'm adding a folder in Sync on my source machine. This folder appears (like all folders) immediately on all my peer machines -- but as Read&Write folder, which I don't want it to.

Then I first have to disconnect this folder in Sync on a peer machine, in order to be able to insert the read-only key for this folder there. Only then does the folder act as a read-only folder on that peer machine:

kwaWiPO.png

This is an extremely cumbersome and unintuitive approach, especially since that folder still appears as a Read&Write folder on all other peer machines, which is a) unwanted and b) even dangerous because it can still be changed or deleted from those other peer machines. Furthermore, I don't want the folder to appear on the other peer machines at all, not even as a disconnected folder.

However, it is also not possible to remove the folder from Sync on the other peer machines, because Sync then tells you that "the folder will be removed on all linked devices" (whatever "linked" actually means again, in the confusing and inconsistent wording that you find throughout Sync).

362gkJT.png

In summary, the whole thing is a miserable, cumbersome workaround and needs to be improved.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, David.P said:

Then I first have to disconnect this folder in Sync on a peer machine, in order to be able to insert the read-only key for this folder there. Only then does the folder act as a read-only folder on that peer machine

That's absolutely right.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, David.P said:

This is an extremely cumbersome and unintuitive approach, especially since that folder still appears as a Read&Write folder on all other peer machines, which is a) unwanted and b) even dangerous because it can still be changed or deleted from those other peer machines. Furthermore, I don't want the folder to appear on the other peer machines at all, not even as a disconnected folder.

If you don't want folders appear automatically don't link you devices together and share folder one-by-one. This is just the way it works.

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205457815-Sync-Private-Identity-Linking-My-Devices

• 1 month later...

However, let me express once again that this needs to be changed:
UsbYHH3.png

I absolutely need to protect the contents of those two source folders named "current" from getting changed by a remote machine on sync.

A setting needs to be added to set a folder read-only when adding it to Sync!

Thanks for consideration.

And by the way: why is a folder that I set to "Read Only" via the above (complicated) workaround BEING WRITTEN to ?
vc71kgo.png

Also: this message is PLAIN WRONG:

On 11/1/2019 at 7:12 PM, David.P said:

However, it is also not possible to remove the folder from Sync on the other peer machines, because Sync then tells you that "the folder will be removed on all linked devices" (whatever "linked" actually means again, in the confusing and inconsistent wording that you find throughout Sync).

362gkJT.png

The folder is NOT actually removed from all devices. In fact, the folder is not removed from ANY device.
The folder will only be removed from within Sync.

All physical folders (and files) will be untouched!

Please check the naming of stuff and improve the clarity of your instructions!