How to sync home folder (Windows 10 to Linux)

Cantello

I would like to synchronise my home folder (not necessarily all of it, temp files and app settings will be excluded) but due to the known limitations, I cannot do this ("...it contains a folder that is already syncing..."). What other ways are there to synchronise most folders of my home folder? I cannot use the usual IgnoreList as I cannot even start to add the home folder. Even when I remove my pro licence (apparently one of the reasons the home folder cannot be synced), the same error occurs.

Any ideas? The goal is to have the windows box send all files to an Ubuntu file server box where the contents of the synced folder will be backed up at night (the windows folder should be send only and the Ubuntu folder should be receive only).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 1:58 PM, Cantello said:

I would like to synchronise my home folder (not necessarily all of it, temp files and app settings will be excluded) but due to the known limitations, I cannot do this ("...it contains a folder that is already syncing..."). What other ways are there to synchronise most folders of my home folder? I cannot use the usual IgnoreList as I cannot even start to add the home folder. Even when I remove my pro licence (apparently one of the reasons the home folder cannot be synced), the same error occurs.

Any ideas? The goal is to have the windows box send all files to an Ubuntu file server box where the contents of the synced folder will be backed up at night (the windows folder should be send only and the Ubuntu folder should be receive only).

Sync individual folders within your home folder separately. That's what I do: my Documents, Downloads, Music, Video, & Pictures folders are synced across all my devices. Because each OS' home folder structure is different, I would not suggest syncing the entire home folder at once or - as you've discovered - you'll wind up syncing stuff you don't want to sync.