Where exactly will my data be stored

doodeedoo

Seems that very limited information about how this works is available at the moment.

I won't even consider signing up for the Alpha test until some details about where customer data will be stored. Will it be stored on BitTorrent servers? Broken up and spread across other customers' computers? Spread across my devices? Where exactly will my data be stored? And, who, besides me, will have access to it? Will it be encrypted? Very little details about this new service at the moment.

Let's talk about "unlimited space" for a second, is the 2^305, which is believed the information capacity of universe is truly unlimited? Or googolplex number (10^10^100) represents unlimited storage? Do you believe that any company in the world could hold 2^305 bits of information?

Unlimited, for most of the companies mean that you can't get above threshold when your monthly payment doesn't cover their expenses and profit.

BitTorrent Sync synchronize your computers, so whatever these computers could hold - this is your limit. For free. Do you need more space? First you need to buy a better computer and then you will get a bigger space, so BitTorrent Sync could deal with it too, for free.

BitTorrent Sync synchronize your computers, so whatever these computers could hold - this is your limit. For free. Do you need more space? First you need to buy a better computer and then you will get a bigger space, so BitTorrent Sync could deal with it too, for free.

So data is stored locally and limited to the users local storage, but not limited by BitTorrent. Thanks for clearing that up; it is just a shame you had to be an asshole about it.

The data will be stored on the harddrive and only on the harddrive. Not "in the cloud", that is what makes the difference. BT get's used as protocol.

With this tool you are actually creating your own cloud; if any device starts using this cloud, it becomes a part of this cloud.

• 2 months later...

Anyway, how much time before the deleted files are removed from ".SyncTrash" folder ?

i delete a lot of files after syncing them from my servers and these files are taking place on all my Servers.

At present, files that are moved to hidden .SyncTrash folders by SyncApp will remain there indefinitely!

However, I'm sure given time the SyncApp team will provide a more user-friendly way to "empty" the trash... because also, the other issue is that if you stop syncing a folder (i.e. remove it from SyncApp completely) its .SyncTrash folder remains indefinitely (and must be manually deleted)! ...so for users who have hidden/system files "hidden" by default, they could be none the wiser that these obsolete files persist on their hard drives taking up space!

Remember though that in the meantime, SyncApp now offers a per-folder "Delete files to Sync Trash" setting (enabled by default), which can be unticked to bypass the moving of files to the .SyncTrash folder.