folders don't get deleted

I just started using BitTorrentSync, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I don't see a relevant thread. When I delete a folder on one machine, the other machine gets all the files deleted, but the folder itself remains. Also, if I rename a folder on one machine, the other machine shows the renamed folder plus an empty version of the original filename. I would hope that eventually the status of folders will be fully synced, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just came back to the project today with the announcement of the Android app, and the folder deletion problem is not fixed. I've set up and synced two Windows 7's and one Android, and everything works well, except:

Inside my sync folder, when I delete a folder from Computer1 that is also open in the Windows explorer of Computer2, Computer2 fails to have that folder deleted. Its contents are deleted (I tested with minimal content), but the enclosing folder remains. Then that remaining folder gets recreated (empty) back on Computer1.

I think it's a rather scary error because there's not telling what will happen after a session of rearranging and re-filing stuff. I mean, you're always paranoid that you left the computer at home open to a folder that might be involved in changes you want to make while you're at some remote location. The more computers you sync with (because you like to have things backed up in a few places), the scarier the possibilities get.

when I delete a folder from Computer1 that is also open in the Windows explorer of Computer2, Computer2 fails to have that folder deleted. Its contents are deleted (I tested with minimal content), but the enclosing folder remains. Then that remaining folder gets recreated (empty) back on Computer1.

Is the folder in question "hidden", or have any special security permissions assigned to it, that may be preventing Sync from removing it? ...or is there another application also trying to access the folder at the same time, preventing the folder from being deleted? Also, is this reproducible across all your folders, or are you just having this issue on one specific folder?

I think it's a rather scary error

Well, it may turn out to be a bug, although it's not that "scary" when you consider that 1) your issue isn't resulting in any data loss, 2) Sync is currently in "beta" and therefore there are going to be bugs, and people would be ill-advised to use any software with a "beta" tag to process important data that they don't have backed up elsewhere!

Is the folder in question "hidden", or have any special security permissions assigned to it, that may be preventing Sync from removing it? ...or is there another application also trying to access the folder at the same time, preventing the folder from being deleted? Also, is this reproducible across all your folders, or are you just having this issue on one specific folder?

No special status other than the fact that the folder in question is open in a Windows file manager on one computer at the same time it's being deleted on the other. When I do the same kind of operation with my other cloud server software, no such inconsistency arises: the deleted folder doesn't get recreated on Computer1, and the deleted material no longer exists on Computer2. Even if the deleted material is still visible in Computer2's file manager, a screen refresh clarifies the situation.

Well, it may turn out to be a bug, although it's not that "scary" when you consider that 1) your issue isn't resulting in any data loss, 2) Sync is currently in "beta" and therefore there are going to be bugs, and people would be ill-advised to use any software with a "beta" tag to process important data that they don't have backed up elsewhere!

I assure you, it's scary. The dev reported it as fixed three months ago, and no one's contradicted that in the meantime.