Speed limited by internet connection for LAN syncs

Urist

So I finally got Sync up and running between my windows 7 x64 box and my raspberry pi running raspbmc. This system is slick, thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing here!

Here is my problem:

My pi is currently syncing about 280gb but it's only downloading at 1.5 mB/s which coincides with my internet bandwidth. I also ran a speedtest and saw the transfer speed stall (drop below 100 kB/s) for the few seconds I was running the test. This leads me to believe that I am transferring data outside of LAN and my pipe is the limiting factor. How can I force the Pi to take directly from the windows box?

The windows 7 box is connected via wifi and the pi is wired, if that makes a difference.

On the Devices tab of BitTorrent Sync, what does the icon show adjacent to your pi device? If it's a cloud symbol, BitTorrent Sync isn't currently connecting to the device directly via your LAN - which might explain why your transfer speed to the pi corresponds to your internet speed.

Check the Folder Preferences of the folders you're trying to sync. If you disable the options for relay/tracker server, this will force BitTorrent Sync to try to make direct connections to devices when syncing that folder.

Additionally, you could potentially make use of the "predefined hosts" settings to manually specify the IP address of your pi, which BitTorrent Sync will then consider "local".

If all that fails, and BitTorrent Sync is able to connect to your pi directly but you're still experiencing slow speeds, try disabling the advanced setting lan_encrypt_data, and enabling the lan_use_tcp setting. Disabling encryption and enabling TCP in LAN can increase transfer speed.

I probably should have mentioned that I had the relay/tracker server options turned off to try and force the LAN speed with no luck. I also set the predefined host to the IP:Port of the host machine under the 192.168.x.x address.The icon only shows two arrows, and no cloud, so I assume it's connecting locally.

I will change the encryption to false and tcp to true and see what that does, but I think I'm hitting a wall with my max bandwidth.

Thanks for the help.

I have the same speed limit problem. The speed maximum is about 400 kB/s when synching between two computers locally on the same network (no cloud icon on the folder). I changed the encryption to false, tcp to true, and disabled relay/tracker server on the folder. Speed goes up to 600-800 kB/s. This is still quite slow for local transfer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar transfer speed with my RPi sync (max 2M/s, average 1.5 M/s). However I don't think it has anything to do with WAN speed (i have 50/10M line) but with performance restriction of RPi itself. As far as I see, at the time of ~2M sync RPi's CPU jumps to almost 100%. Another thing slowing down such sync - RPi by design sharing USB "connection" between LAN adapter and external drives.

So I finally got Sync up and running between my windows 7 x64 box and my raspberry pi running raspbmc. This system is slick, thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing here!

Here is my problem:

My pi is currently syncing about 280gb but it's only downloading at 1.5 mB/s which coincides with my internet bandwidth. I also ran a speedtest and saw the transfer speed stall (drop below 100 kB/s) for the few seconds I was running the test. This leads me to believe that I am transferring data outside of LAN and my pipe is the limiting factor. How can I force the Pi to take directly from the windows box?

The windows 7 box is connected via wifi and the pi is wired, if that makes a difference.

How fast can your wifi speed go both on router and pc ?

• 4 months later...

Some quick info on this thread to maybe shed some light:

you are limited by some things in this fiasco of a setup;

Point A: the 'seed' hardware incl the main server PC connected to its set of router, cables, ethernet ports, OS, IP on some 'network --> transfers over TCI/IP + BT SYNC layers -->

You are relying on software (bt sync beta, windows network/dll/driver/etc layers) + TCP/IP + your hardware that is receiving... and a RaspPi ...

You need ridiculous I/O and LOTS LOTS LOTS LOTS LOTS of ram for Bitorrent. It goes nuts with the hashchecked pieces when transfering large data sets...

I would recommend using the Pi for simpler means and not i/o or hub in a network setup or file server.

You can STREAM to the pi perfectly fine, but storing or saving is pointless.

Go on ebay, buy some SCSI drives and a cheap server and make RAID5 array. I can go bout 40-70 depeding on file... a huge 10gb file is not going to be as quick as 1000 jpeg or mp3 in succession, remember that. Consider the usage of having to use the pi on a network and how you can make it simpler.

Also, if you have any port problems, create 2 seperate DMZ hosts for BT_Sync. 2 pc with 2 NIC each having 4 ports total. Open up the one layer completely to the net, exposing all possible ports.

goodluck!