Sync Two Folders that have files already in them

ClarkDV

I decided to use Sync to keep my work and my home music folders synchronized. I set it up and pointed the app at each end to the music folder (each has 170GB of music) and let it do its thing.

THe first thing I noticed, though, was that it seemed to delete a lot of music in both folders. Many previously populated folders now show Zero Bytes and are empty when I open them. And a LOT of file transfers are happening, when I know that those two folders probably only had 100 audio files that were not in synch from one Mac to the other.

So the question would seem to be, can you use this for two folders with pre-existing, and mostly in sync, files in each?

I look forward to your thoughts.

So the question would seem to be, can you use this for two folders with pre-existing, and mostly in sync, files in each?

In short - yes! :)

(also, if BitTorrent Sync has "deleted" some files during the sync process, by default "deleted" files are not actually completely "deleted" - you should be able to find them in the folder's hidden .SyncTrash folder)

OK, that makes me feel better. One other thing I see, though, is a lot of duplicates. Song Name.mp3 and Song Name1.mp3. Each file an exact duplicate of the other. My fear is that I'm going to wind up with 340GB folders on each Mac when it started out as 170GB.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I'd like to revisit this topic.  When I was running v 1.3 I was able to achieve setting up sync between two folders that already had mostly the same content.  I made one read only, then the remote site sync'd up the folder and brought over only the files that were missing.  Well I upgraded to v 1.4 then I needed to replace a hard drive (contains ~ 850GB) so I had to restart this process again.  For some reason 1.4 doesn't seem to manage the re-sync as well.  I've deleted the .sync directory a few times on both sides and deleted/re-added the folders but it seems to get stuck after 20-30GB of data being sync'd (by index or something I think, the data never moves).  BT Sync realizes it is out of sync on both sides saying "Out of sync", but nothing happens.  When I restart the app it indicates the folder is starting to sync but again nothing happens.

Thoughts?