Question about BTSync

If I have two files in the same share that are almost identical (E.G. maybe off by one byte or something) will BTSync realize "Hey, I've seen this 4MB hash before, and this one, and this one" then only have to transmit one file, excluding the 4MB sector the changed? Or does the 4MB hash checking only apply if it's the same file?

i think this is called Delta Sync.

BTSync will have to keep database and tables of hash for parts of existing files

and compare the new hash of parts of new file to these tables.

Too be honest, what's ~ 100 bytes (That's around the size of a MD5 hash & Pointer, right? However, you might want to upgrade to something more 'unique' than md5, just considering how bad a duplicated hash could be) per 4MB? It means if I have a 1TB share I'll pack on an extra 25MB (I believe I got that right? 1TB/4MB*100Bytes), if I'm already sharing 1TB I believe I can share an extra 25MB to possibly save a hell of a lot more.

Too be honest, what's ~ 100 bytes (That's around the size of a MD5 hash & Pointer, right? However, you might want to upgrade to something more 'unique' than md5, just considering how bad a duplicated hash could be) per 4MB? It means if I have a 1TB share I'll pack on an extra 25MB (I believe I got that right? 1TB/4MB*100Bytes), if I'm already sharing 1TB I believe I can share an extra 25MB to possibly save a hell of a lot more.

Well actually you wont be sharing the 25MB, they will need to be saved only locally for the local BTSync Client, to compare the hash that the remote BTSync client sends. and if any match is found, the client will just copy the 4MB or 1MB (depends) of the matched part instead of downloading it from other remote clients.

i did something like BTSync in python for my FYP.

But it was direct ip between 2 vps only since i have little knowledge with networks and dns and..... i couldnt get how to connect when there is no static ip.

If I have two files in the same share that are almost identical (E.G. maybe off by one byte or something) will BTSync realize "Hey, I've seen this 4MB hash before, and this one, and this one" then only have to transmit one file, excluding the 4MB sector the changed? Or does the 4MB hash checking only apply if it's the same file?

This is one of two features that I'd love to see added to BTSync. +1 for me. The other feature is the syncing of deltas as discussed here:

Perhaps these two things are related. It's also said that it isn't supported........yet. Does that mean it is in development?

What's the roadmap for proposed features? When can we expect a version 1.0 release?

What's the roadmap for proposed features? When can we expect a version 1.0 release?

There isn't a public "roadmap" as such at this time. As you probably know, BitTorrent Sync has only been publicly available for a little over a week - and in that time the forum has been literally inundated with hundreds of feature requests from users.

The developers do frequent these forums, and are paying attention to all these requests... but there are a LOT of requests to get through, and the team have to prioritize them. We do know they are actively working on a whole host of new features - including mobile device support and an API to name just two! ...but I wouldn't expect any concrete assurances from the developers at this stage that "feature X will be available by date Y", etc.

...erm... the current version is 1.0.116 / 1.0.125... so we've already gone past a "1.0" release! :P

• 2 months later...