Version 1.1.x 100% cpu

umputun

After upgrade to v1.1 (on 1.1.15 now) I see very long bursts with 100% cpu utilization on all of my macs. By 100% I mean 100% of one of cores. It stays in 100% for 10-20minutes, sometimes even longer. Then it goes down to low numbers for very short time (1-2mins) and jump back to 100.

Such problem makes my old dual-core imac very slow and on mbp i7 eating all the battery in one hour. Nothing changed with my folders/files, this is the same ~80G total. The only new thing is upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1

Another factor making my case a little unusual - some of directories shared read-only to many remote "guests". After upgrade to 1.1 I don't see them interacting with my computers anymore because they on 1.0 and protocols incompatible. So, maybe such communication between incompatible versions causing high CPU?

P.S. I have reported the issue via "Send Feedback" with sampling and debug info, but this time I didn't even get automatic response back. Not sure if my reports were delivered or not.

post-23926-0-26964300-1371361694_thumb.p

I have tried to test my theory about Another factor making my case a little unusual - some of directories shared read-only to many remote "guests". After upgrade to 1.1 I don't see them interacting with my computers anymore because they on 1.0 and protocols incompatible. So, maybe such communication between incompatible versions causing high CPU?

It seems to be the case! As soon as I removed those read-only shares accessible publicly, the 100% cpu bug disappeared completely.

Having the same problem on Ubuntu 12.04.2 64bit after upgrading to version 1.1.15

I'm currently trying to sync a single large file (2GB) with a btsync ARM client running on a Raspberry Pi. Cpu load on the Ubuntu machine is between 80 and 100% all the time. On the Pi load is between 1 and 2%.

Can you confirm that ALL your devices are running 1.1.15? The OP indicates that this issue may be caused by running different versions of Sync on different devices (i.e. some running 1.0.x builds, others running 1.1.x builds)

• 1 month later...

No, not as of 1.1.148

Or maybe it is a different problem causing the same 100% cpu utilization.

I thought it was just 33% to 67% but I have now seen it eating 100% for long spurts. Even renicing it on my high end intel monster machine does not help.

Also under linux control I'm not sure how to send a debug report. Where is that option located?

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw CPU 100% problem on my ARM box running Version 1.1.70. The sync.log shows that one of a sync folder does not have write permission (it was manually created by a user different from btsync process). chmod the folder fixed the problem.

However, should btsync sleep for awhile before it re-tries to sync? If there's a permission denied issue, simply keeping retry won't solve it. I also hope that in the newer versions the btsync client is able to notify admin there's problems synchronizing files, like, an alarm icon on webgui.