Bittorrent Sync on LAN very slow 5 MBIT? Any suggestions?

derlac

Hi,

i use bittorrent to sync files between mac and windows on my LAN. The router provides 300 MBIT max. but i just get 5 MBIT while syncing, this is not much. I'm not sure but i think the speed should be a bit better.

Can someone give me advice? Already tried to switch to not encrypted and TCP, but this make no difference?

Which operating system are you using?

You should be able to determine whether or not your computers are talking directly to each other (two arrows icon) or via a relay server (cloud icon). Slow speeds may be due to a relay server being used which uses the external internet. Since both computers are on a LAN you might want to try using "known host" option. You can set the listening port of each client and then tell 'client A' the IP address and port number of 'client B'. And vice versa with the other machine. You can then deselect all of the peer finding options except 'predefined host' and your computers should just talk directly to each other. This is what I'm doing for local-only shared folders within my house on a wifi network.

This being said, you may need to change some settings on your router to allow traffic on the ports you previously specified. You might also want to fix the assigned IP addresses of the machines on your local network so they stay the same. Some routers assign new IP addresses each time a machine joins and leaves the network (I think that's called DHCP, but I may be wrong).

Hi,

the devices are connecting directly to each other.

What is this "known host" option? Can't find it?

How can i tell Client A the IP or Client B within Bittorrent Sync and where do i find the peerfinding options?

I know how i set static ips for the devices, but how do i set ports, portforwarding?

I work on Mountain Lion and Windows 7.

What is this "known host" option? Can't find it?

He means "Use predefined hosts" - this is a per folder setting which you can find through the user interface of Sync via the Folders tab. Select a folder, then select "Show folder preferences". A dialog will open, where you'll see the "Predefined hosts" options at the bottom.

OK, when i use predefined hosts, what other option should i use

could you give a quick overview what i would set the options?

relay server

tracker server

Search lan

search dht

Delete files to sync trash

Use nat upnp port mapping

disk low priority

lan encrypt data

lan use tcp

rate limit local peers

?

Do i have to setup sth. special with the router?

Ok, i mixed it up. I have 3 -5 Megabyte / s. I guess this should be approximately 50 Mbps. Is this OK? I'm not sure?

Anyway, what's the best configuration. Could you give me some advice. Since i tested some preferences i also don't know which are the defaults.

That's reasonable, particularly if there's lots of little files rather than a smaller number of huge ones.

Additionally, the speed you've given for your device is a speed you'd expect to see on an 802.11N device. So I'm assuming you're transferring over wireless.

300mbit is certainly not the speed of any wired network device I've ever used. It would be 100mbit or more likely, 1gbit.

If so, that 300mbit is a foolishly optimistic theoretical best case. Real world throughput is closer to 100mbit in ideal conditions. Which means a maximum transfer rate of 10mBps.

So if that's the case, your speeds are quite reasonable.

Thanks, for the information. I already thought that it wouldn't be possible to reach full 300 Mbit. Perhaps i think there's some optimization capability. Anyone can say how i could check speeds with another data transfer method as a reference. What would be best. I mean when i could test with another data transfer protocol as ftp or samba and get higher speeds the conclusion could be that there's some possibility to improve btsync speeds.

>>Perhaps i think there's some optimization capability<<

There's always room for improvement there. The current version is massively more efficient than the first versions were.

>>Anyone can say how i could check speeds with another data transfer method as a reference.<<

iperf/an mutually compatible available for your OS's?

>>mean when i could test with another data transfer protocol as ftp or samba and get higher speeds the conclusion could be that there's some possibility to improve btsync speeds.<<

At the very least it would be interesting for finding out what your network is capable of. It wouldn't be hugely useful for figuring BTSync speeds (again keeping in mind that how many files and how large they are makes a huge difference)

My advice for the moment though would be to keep waiting for newer versions. It's noticeably improving all the time.

>>Perhaps i think there's some optimization capability<<

There's always room for improvement there. The current version is massively more efficient than the first versions were.

>>Anyone can say how i could check speeds with another data transfer method as a reference.<<

iperf/an mutually compatible available for your OS's?

>>mean when i could test with another data transfer protocol as ftp or samba and get higher speeds the conclusion could be that there's some possibility to improve btsync speeds.<<

At the very least it would be interesting for finding out what your network is capable of. It wouldn't be hugely useful for figuring BTSync speeds (again keeping in mind that how many files and how large they are makes a huge difference)

My advice for the moment though would be to keep waiting for newer versions. It's noticeably improving all the time.

Thx, for the answers.

@ChrisH: Yes it's n wifi.

For WAN i get full 50 MBit/s.

• 2 months later...

I'm kinda having the same issue besides I'm not using wireless...

I am syncing 2 Nas devices over wired LAN (freenas and qnap).

I'm getting the double arrow icons.

The transfer speed is a constant 3MB/s

When copying a file directly from nasshare to nasshare, the speed is 70MB/s which is closer to my Gigabyte lan connection.

This is when scp'ing one file to the other device using putty, so no intermediaries.