.!Sync files not deleted

dimi

It happens to me that some temporary files are not proporely synchroized and when they are deleted in the original folder (after closing the creating program) their .!Sync copies on connected folders are not deleted and stay in inconsistent stage.

I know I should probably exclude such files from synchronizaton but nevertheless such behavior seems to be wrong. Anybody with similar experience and with a clue how to avoid such problems?

I know I should probably exclude such files from synchronizaton but nevertheless such behavior seems to be wrong. Anybody with similar experience and with a clue how to avoid such problems?

.!Sync files are automatically excluded from sync, as they are incomplete transfers which are then renamed to remove the .!Sync extension once the file is fully received.

The presence of .!Sync files indicate that either a file is currently in the process of being received (in which case the .!Sync extension will be removed upon successful completion of the data transfer), or that a transfer was interrupted before it could complete (i.e. if a device is transferring "file.mp3" to another device, at the start of the transfer a "file.mp3.!sync" will be created on the destination device. If Device A then goes off line during the transfer, the "file.mp3.!sync" will continue to remain on the destination device)

Therefore, to resolve your issue:

1) Stop BitTorrent Sync on all your devices

2) Delete any .!Sync files in the folders you're syncing on all your devices

3) Restart BitTorrent Sync on all your devices

• 1 year later...

Surely BTSync should be able to handle disconnection and re-connection without the user manually deleting files?  If a file is partially transferred and connection is lost then should BTSync not resume from where it stopped on re-connection?

colinabroad, this is an extremely old thread! (the last post here was over 15 months ago!) ....are you actually experiencing this issue with the latest versions of Sync?!

the age of the thread does not make it irrelevant, and yes, I am.  I have been experiencing VERY strange behavior for quite a while.   I have been trawling the forum looking for similar problems and read this with interest.   I note you did not answer the question relating to the failure of BT sync to complete a sync when disconnected and leaving files lying around.  Has this been resolved? if so why does it not say so rather than having the thread just stop?  My actual 'fault' for want of a better word is covered in other threads - it relates to the software being unable to complete a sync from one PC to two others whilst the two others are complete between themselves.  It is ongoing, so I wil continue to trawl for an answer.  Cheers,

Colin.

Hi, I'm currently experiencing this issue.

I'm using the latest version for Macosx and i'm on Yosemite beta.

I have a folder where it downloads torrents with transmission app.

This folder then syncs with a rasppi to get the torrents.

Transmission.app on mac uses the .part extension while downloading.

But after it is completed i see 2 files on my folder and the one is with .!sync extension.

Could you help me with what is wrong?

Hi, I'm currently experiencing this issue.

I'm using the latest version for Macosx and i'm on Yosemite beta.

I have a folder where it downloads torrents with transmission app.

This folder then syncs with a rasppi to get the torrents.

Transmission.app on mac uses the .part extension while downloading.

But after it is completed i see 2 files on my folder and the one is with .!sync extension.

Could you help me with what is wrong?

Have you tried adding a rule in your .sync/IgnoreList to exclude the syncing of .part files?

@colinabroad

Sync is fully automatic. It does not require manual cleanup in case the file was not transferred completely - it takes care about its files without user intervention.  If this works differently - it is a bug.

My point exactly - I suspect it is a bug - as demonstrated by the next post!  I Am not suffering from errant .!sync files right now, just two computers reporting in the GUI that they have not fully synced when they clearly have.  If I was able to find what was stopping the sync from completing I would not be looking at all these different threads trying to work it out.  The fact that there are so many threads with similar symptoms - albeit being reported in different ways - tells me it is a real issue and not a figment of my imagination.  IF sync is fully automatic why can it not automatically tell me what is not syncing?  giving me a list of ALL the files in the folder as waiting to sync is not good at all.  I will keep my eye out to see if this problem (and a solution) is found one day!

...IF sync is fully automatic why can it not automatically tell me what is not syncing? 

Under "automatic" I meant that it takes care of the sync process and its service files. The error reporting and issues resolution is not a strong side of Sync - though we are working to make it better.

Thank you RomanZ - FINALLY an admission that something is actually wrong and you (the 'team') are trying to fix it! Sometimes this is all that is needed to keep your 'customers' happy. I will continue to persevere and attempt to find the error with this. In fact I may well invest the time needed to upgrade my two working computers to 1.4.latest as it now seems some of the GUI errors (like sizing columns) has been fixed! I will come back when this is done to let you know if all is OK or not.