.syncIgnore not ignoring the files

BitTorrent Sync is a fantastic software and I am using it to sync data inside my LAN and also across the internet. Everything seems to be working fine, albeit slow. However, my problem is with the .syncIgnore.

I have read all the threads related to .syncIgnore, read the manual and I am still at a loss. Here is a simple step by step scenario that I created inside my LAN to test if and how .syncIgnore works

1. I have a windows 8, 64 bit pro machine where I created a folder called test and some subfolder and files as follows:

test-->folder1-->file1

-->folder2-->file2

-->folder3-->file3

I added the above test folder to my btsync 1.1.27 client on this windows 8 machine and the client immediately created a .syncIgnore file inside the folder test.

2. Next, I opened the above .syncIgnore file in notepad to add following line at the end

/folder2

/folder3

with the intention that I want these two folders and the files inside them to be ignored. When I tried to save this file, I got an error saying that the Access to the file is denied. I changed the attributes of the file from hidden to archive and then I was able to save it.

3. I copied the secret for the above test folder and created a new folder also called test in my ubuntu 12.04, 64 bit server (running the latest version of btsync downloaded from here) with this secret. A new .syncIgnore file was created inside the test directory, which I did not edit.

4. I noticed in history that btsync on my windows machine showed that all of the above folders and files were being added and almost immediately after that they all appeared on my ubuntu server, which is not what I expected.

I tried to change the forward slash in the .syncIgnore file mentioned in step 2 above to backward slash (unix style), but that did not make any difference. I also copied the .syncIgnore file from windows to the ubuntu machine manually, restarted the btsync on both windows and linux machine, but to not avail.

Can someone who has the .syncIgnore working please advise me as to what I may be doing wrong? Or, if it is easier, please take the above scenario as an example and let me know what I should try to make it work?

Hi!

The correct instructions for using .SyncIgnore:

1. Remove your shared folder on your Windows machine;

2. Put new entry in .SyncIgnore on Windows:

folder2

folder2/*

folder3

folder3/*

3. Add your shared folder again.

4. Add shared folder on your Linux.

Thanks!

Many thanks. Above worked fine.

Any ideas as to why the .syncIgnore file has hidden attribute by default? I have to change it to archive only on windows to edit and save it? Exiting from the bittorrent sync app does not help either.

To skip folder with its content u need to add 2 new rules to the .SyncIgnore:

folder

folder/*

This behaviour will be fixed in next releases

Slash before template (like "/folder") means that rule will be applied only for root folders(files)

Thanks for that vital info. So, then if you want to ignore all the files in a folder then, you have to write both the above rules?

Any ideas as to why the .syncIgnore file has hidden attribute by default? I have to change it to archive only on windows to edit and save it? Exiting from the bittorrent sync app does not help either.

It's to prevent accidental deletion. You shouldn't have to change it to an archive on Windows though in order to edit it - you should just be able to open the file in a standard text editor, such as Notepad, make your changes and then save it (You'll need to restart Sync for the changes to take affect)

It's to prevent accidental deletion. You shouldn't have to change it to an archive on Windows though in order to edit it - you should just be able to open the file in a standard text editor, such as Notepad, make your changes and then save it (You'll need to restart Sync for the changes to take affect)

That is what I expected when I opened the .syncIgnore file and edited and then tried to save it on my windows 8 pro 64 bit machine. I am never allowed to save it (error: Access to the file is denied.). I have to change the attributes and then it lets me save it. But, then if I open it again, the attributes are again changed back to hidden. It is annoying.