Raccoon

i unchecked

- use relay server when required

- use tracker server

and left checked

- search lan

- use predefined hosts

that i did on both computers

i set each others internal network IPs and listening port under predefined hosts

and the transfer started just fine at almost 1MB/s

just to make sure it wasn't over the internet i disconnected the internet cable going to the router, leaving just the internal network working

well the second i did that the transfer stopped.

then the interrupted transfer didn't start again until i checked again

- use relay server when required

- use tracker server

and i can see that it's utilizing the VPN local area connection as well as the internal local area connection, so it is going over the internet (well over the VPN and back to be precise)

even if there is a vpn on one of the computers it still should be able to go without it and directly over the internal network, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raccoon.

You most likely created a VPN setting that makes your lokal IP block (the non-VPN part) avaliable throug VPN routing, which sets up different routes to the very same subnet.

I would gess that btsync just discovers different routs to the same host and needs to determine which one is the best. But that's not a problem of btsync as a single application but a routing problem in general. Maybe btsync isn't even aware of the fact that there are different routes. I would assume that btsync just uses plan source-TCP to target-TCP and relies on the OS to keep track on proper routing.

I would suggest to start adding some metrics to your routing table that make the VPN route less valuable. See "route help" in your windows cmd window, I'm talking about the "metric" property.

It's most likely the "route add 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 $yourVpnEndpointIp" setting created by your VPN setup which makes your local network go through the VPN. Maybe something like "put all traffic trough VPN" as well, depending on the VPN protocol and client you use.

You could give it a try create without btsync some network traffic (scp, ftp, http, whatever) which should be pure local, then turn the VPN connection off and see weather the traffic keeps going or just stops (and retries, when your desired protocol allows that, which would be the case with all of those I mentioned).

I would call this kind of a local/virtual VPN loop.

Regards,

Stephan.