Android & Linux Btsync do not discover each other on same LAN

erenoglu

I have an Ubuntu 13.10 32bit with latest BTsync user packages. I also have an Android box (Samsung HomeSync) running latest btsync android client.  They are both on 1gbps lan network. 

The two boxes do not detect each other even if I enable LAN Sync. They just sit & wait.

When I look with avahi-browse -a , I can see other services being announced from both boxes. Such as Ubuntu announcing its SSH access, my lan printer (on wifi) announcing its web server, the android box's XBMC announcing its upnp control points, its web server, its HomeSync app etc, but nothing related to BtSync. 

So how does BTSync announce its presence in the network? Doesn't it use Avahi / Zeroconf? If it doesn't, what does it use and what shall be done (maybe on the router) to make them see each other. I read somewhere that it sends multicast packets at port 3838 but I do not find any detailed explanation on it and what shall be done with it.

any insights?

I re-added sync folders to my Windows PC & Android. Windows has all options disabled but only LAN Sync enabled. Ubuntu likewise, for the test purpose.  Note that when "use tracker" was enabled on Windows & Ubuntu, they find each other & sync.  Android still does not find any peers, although there are two on the same LAN with LAN Sync enabled, and both of them have "use tracker" selected.

Now, back to test case, only LAN sync is enabled on both Ubuntu & Windows. This time, when I shut down Windows Btsync, do some changes on Ubuntu (files source), and then re-launch Windows, I can see that Windows is also NOT syncing anymore. So definitely there's an issue on LAN Sync. Android is also sitting idle with "0 devices online". All of these are on the same cabled LAN.

I will play with IGMP_Snooping on the openwrt router and maybe try to install an IGMP Querier...

Android (1.2.12) & Windows (1.2.73) are latest client. Ubuntu is 1.2.72.