Suddenly Connecting To Hundreds Of Unknown Nodes

pseudonym

I'm running the Mac version of BTSync (1.2.82) and I've just noticed it's trying to connect to hundreds of unknown nodes (I use Little Snitch with silent mode off which is how I noticed). The only shared folders I have are private ones shared between a few computers, and this behaviour only started today.

If I enable debugging, all I see is "Incoming connection from <some_ip>:<some_port>".

Any ideas on what's going on?

Yes - turn off "Search DHT Network" (this is a per-folder setting)

This was already turned off for all three of my folders. I turned off "Use relay server when required" and "Use tracker server" for all the folders, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I added a predefined host instead.

Edited by pseudonym

• 2 months later...

Any other suggestions? I've just updated to 1.3 and it's still happening. Search DHT Network is turned off for all four folders I'm sharing, but it's still connecting to over 500 hosts.

BT Sync is also crashing my whole machine (mac) with a cpu panic, but that's for another thread I guess.

Any other suggestions? I've just updated to 1.3 and it's still happening. Search DHT Network is turned off for all four folders I'm sharing, but it's still connecting to over 500 hosts.

BT Sync is also crashing my whole machine (mac) with a cpu panic, but that's for another thread I guess.

Are you using any VPN (-like) service like LogMeIn Hamachi or Neorouter? Are you using VMware or Virtual box that installed extra nic's to your networking?

I am doing home lan2lan sync, so I have turned off the options for relay and tracker and DHT, but was still seeing 200-800Kbps of upload traffic going out as per Du Meter (shows up/download speeds).  When I would stop Hamachi, the traffic stopped.  If I stopped BT Sync, the traffic stopped.

Just now, I upgraded to 1.3, and this problem is no longer present. Since you upgraded to 1.3 and still have issue, you don't have same issue as I did, but my whole point is that having multiple NIC's in the PC might be confusing BTSync.

I would suggest taking a capture of traffic using Wireshark, and analyzing how much traffic is going where, and to what port.  Also, DU Meter had a netstat like feature that told me all the ports the applications were using, and which hostnames it was talking to.  I was able to use Wireshark to tell me where the 400Kbps of traffic was going, and I used DU Meter to tell me that it was ALL going to Hamachi's relay server to relay for 50ish clients I have in Hamachi.  So, at first, I was having trouble tracking down traffic from BT Sync, but that confirmed it was traffic going over the Hamachi network, but originating from BT Sync somehow.

But fixed now, at least for me :)  

pseudonym,

That's rather strange. BTSync usually connects to tracker, relay, auto-update service and other peers. The behavior you describe is only possible if DHT is enabled. 

Could you please share the traffic capture (also please let me know what is the listening port in your setup).

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. Although I'm sure I saw these connections initially after upgrading, I'm not seeing these anymore. So I assume this was me not reading my logs properly, or some anomaly of the upgrade.

Timbo: I did have virtualbox installed, so perhaps your hunch is correct.

Anyway, seems to be all good in 1.3 for now.