User Interface Design

stanha

These issues include the common accepted standards in GUI design, such as ANY displayable field, no matter what kind of field it is and in what column of what tab it is displayed is subject to copy to the clipboard operation.

That is the rule, and not some "luxury".

And it is the BASIC rule.

The contents of any user *editible* field should be able to be copied to the clipboard - which it can be! Non-editible GUI elements can't be copied to the clipboard, but I'm not aware there's a rule or "requirement" for such elements to be copyable to the clipboard?

Many, if not most, well designed programs have the menu bar and a status bar.

I agree a menu bar and a status bar are traditional - however, more and more software is moving away from this traditional concept. Take web browsers for example, it's now more common for there to not be a traditional menu or fixed status bar by default.

In Sync the traditional "menu bar" has been replaced by simple to navigate tabs, allowing direct access to the key functions of Sync.

A "status bar" of sorts is coming in Sync 1.3. This will show the current up/down speeds and be visible across the bottom of all tabs.

In order to enable/disable logging or pause/resume the sync process, it is highly UNDESIRABLE to be performed via right mouse clicking on BTSync icon in the Windows task bar and then select a property choice.

Because it is HIGHLY unintuitive. It took me several days to realize that there are features like these available in BTSync, but ONLY if you use the right mouse click on a task bar icon. And I stumbled upon it only after reading lots of articles on BTSync forums. Why?

Where is it described in the manuals?

The Debug logging feature is not an "every day" function that every user will need to access. It is an "advanced" debugging function, that will be used infrequently for the primary purpose of debugging Sync problems. Given that Sync is currently in Beta, this option may well not even be present in "Stable" builds! (or perhaps it might then move to the "Advanced Settings" dialog)

It is described in this pinned thread. The manual directs users to the forum if they have problems, and as I say, the "Debug" function isn't something that most regular users will need to use, unless they encounter a specific issue, for which debug logs are required and for which instructions are provided in the forum.

Why should I leave the main BTSync window to exit the program? What does it "buy you"?

Because Sync is designed to always be running in the background, if you've got lots of windows open/programs running, it's often easier to exit Sync by right-clicking on the tray icon (which would take two clicks, 1 - right click on the tray icon, 2 - click "Exit"), than it would be to first locate/open the Sync UI (1 click), click a "File" option in a menu bar (another click), then choose "Exit" from a file menu (another click) = 3 clicks vs 2 clicks!

Why can't you copy ANY field from ANY column from ANY tab in a dialog box to your clipboard, considering the fact that some of the things displayed you will have a hard time to replicate or copy to your editor or to the message on this forum?

Screenshots are a good way to provide this information in the forum if you need to do so. Additionally, further information will be available in the Sync log.

Device tab issues

There are improvements coming to the devices tab in Sync 1.3. Most notably, you'll be able to see exactly which files are awaiting being synced, or which are out of sync.

History tab issues

This tab should show not only the messages that were the result of full sync, but also the messages of last contact and the amount left to be up/downloaded.

This would be something more for the "Devices" tab - which shows current/active information, whereas the "History" tab shows action which has already taken place/completed.

I agree that a "time remaining" indicator would be a useful addition to have, but as with any suggestion/feature request - please post it in the dedicated wishlist thread.

Preferences tab issues

Device name edit field should be expanded, to say the least.

??? It's already pretty long! (94 chars max on the Windows app):

device_length.jpg

Status bar is one of the required elements in a well designed Windows programs according to Microsoft's design guidelines, known for tens of years.

Please see earlier comment in relation to the "status bar" coming in Sync 1.3.

Also, please note that Sync isn't a dedicated Windows product - it's cross-platform and the desire is to have a similar looking UI across desktop platforms.

The user simply MUST be informed about any messages to him, considering the number of various error conditions or undesired or unpredictable effects of various user actions, such as file modifications, deletions, renaming and so on, the results of which may be simply unpredictable to the "newbie" and he might not even suspect that he has done something that will prevent his node from being updated in the future.

There are a number of improvements coming to notifications in Sync 1.3

Stanha,
  Everyone is welcome to contribute to any topic within these forums, and everyone's opinion is as equally valid as anyone else's.

If you have a differing view to another forum contributor, that's fine - constructive discussion and the sharing of ideas, knowledge, and solutions is what makes these forums a fantastic resource for the Sync community! :)

However, personal attacks, "flaming", threatening or abusive language towards other contributors is not appropriate in these forums.

Your previous post has therefore been edited accordingly.

Please help to keep these forums a friendly and welcoming place for the Sync community.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Stanha,

Everyone is welcome to contribute to any topic within these forums, and everyone's opinion is as equally valid as anyone else's.

If you have a differing view to another forum contributor, that's fine - constructive discussion and the sharing of ideas, knowledge, and solutions is what makes these forums a fantastic resource for the Sync community! :)

However, personal attacks, "flaming", threatening or abusive language towards other contributors is not appropriate in these forums.

Your previous post has therefore been edited accordingly.

Please help to keep these forums a friendly and welcoming place for the Sync community.

Thank you for your co-operation.

What?

"However, personal attacks, "flaming", threatening or abusive language"?

This one deserves to be classified as "classic".

You have been warned multiple times by moderation and administration members. Drop it.

Unfortunately, you are talking to the wrong party in this.

The message I saw as a followup to my post was a total insult.

And this is "official" now:

The support of BTSync product, in any way, shape or form is totally withdrawn by this party.

Whether it means something to some of you or not, this is not of our concern.

BTSync was given what I would classify as tremendous degree of support by the powers that I would not even like to mention here.

That support is no more.

Just chill out.

The top priority for Sync is to make the core of it work on all platforms. 1.3 is a big step in making that happen, and it is being tested by the group of beta testers we have. It'll come out once it's ready, but that will be pretty soon at the rate it's going.