Latest Package For Drobo 5N

Hi all BTSyncers. I am using BTSync very actively on a Drobo 5N NAS (as well as Raspberry Pi, Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, and Android). I recomplie the DroboApp every time BT release a new ARM version.

If anyone is interested in keeping up-to-date with BTSync on a Drobo 5N, please express your interest here and I will set up a respository on GitHub.

Cheers

@turbodonkey:

I am maintaining for both 5N and FS. The trouble with just replacing the binary is that method will not reflect any changes to the DroboApp SDK, or any package changes in how the service runs on a Drobo. You can do that if you want, but I recommend you use my repos.

@toby00001:

Thanks for doing this.

I was using the method on the DroboPorts site.

I am at 1.3.106 now.  

I have an issue with the WebUI now.  It won't accept the creds I created.

It did, but it won't now.

I have 1.3.106 running on a Mac Mini, an iMac, 2 Hackintosh, and the DroboFS.

My documents directory and installs directory are shared.

Things work well.

The high data transfer on one of the Hacks revealed a problem with an ethernet kext.  It would cause the computer to freeze.  The problem was not BTsync.

I am very happy with the software.

Thanks for your efforts.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

@toby00001:

Performance on the FS is pretty slow.  Your 5N has 1 gig of ram and the FS has 256 meg of ram.  I don't know if the cpu is more powerful.

The folders I am sharing are pretty large with lots of files.

Using terminal to login to the FS, when I run the top command I can see the processes chewing up memory and cpu.  There is not lots of margin.  I expect indexing is chewing it up.

There is a parameter that controls the interval between indexing scans.  Normally it is 10 minutes.  That parameter is not available via the WebUI.  folder_rescan_interval  I am not even sure the indexing scan completes before the next should start.

If you could recompile and set the default to something like once per day I would appreciate it.  

I have multiple computers that would push files to the FS via BTsync.  I would not drop files directly into the shared directories.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have recompiled for the latest version 1.3.109. (Sorry about the delay, I was on holiday!)

5N: https://github.com/toby00001/btsync_drobo5n

FS: https://github.com/toby00001/btsync_drobofs

Unfortunately the settings for folder rescan interval cannot be changed from the default during the compilation as these are delivered by the binary code. You can of course just edit these via the web interface as you would on any BTSync client.

• 2 weeks later...

@toby00001:

thank you for your efforts. I successfully installed an earlier version by putting your btsync.tgz file in the DroboApps folder and restarting the Drobo 5N. I uninstalled the old version and tried the same with this new file, and the only thing that gets unpacked in the btsync folder is a host_uid.txt file with a sting of letters and numbers. And the btsync.tgz file is still there. In the last version it was automatically deleted.

What is different in the new version that makes it not work? Is there something else I have to do?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to auto-back-up my local LaCie Big5 NAS to a Drobo 5N in another house. My understanding is that btsync can run on the Drobo 5N without a computer attached. Can I run btsync on the LaCie too, or do I have to run btsync on a computer on the network?

Sorry about the newbie questions. This is my first NAS experience, and my first attempt with btsync too. :-)

I have recompiled for the latest version 1.3.109. (Sorry about the delay, I was on holiday!)

5N: https://github.com/toby00001/btsync_drobo5n

FS: https://github.com/toby00001/btsync_drobofs

Unfortunately the settings for folder rescan interval cannot be changed from the default during the compilation as these are delivered by the binary code. You can of course just edit these via the web interface as you would on any BTSync client.

• 4 weeks later...

@Jarle:

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason the forum notification email went to my junk folder.

Ok, I'm not sure what issues you are having exactly but I recommend uninstalling BTSync on the Drobo. Do this by first opening up the Drobo Dashboard, going to the Drobo Apps section and clicking uninstall for BTSync. Then access your Drobo_Apps network share via ssh or sftp and make sure that the btsync folder has been removed.

Once you are sure everything is clean in the Drobo_Apps share go ahead and drop the latest btsync.tgz in there and either restart your 5N or issue the command via ssh:

sudo /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

This will install the BTSync app. Go to your web browser and navigate to drobonetworkipaddress:8888 to access the BTSync web interface.

Now for the LaCie 5big. The built in OS runs on the Linux kernel. In theory you should be able to install and run software compiled with the appropriate Linux binary, but as far as I know this would require custom modification of the 5big firmware - which I would not recommend if your experience is limited. What I would recommend is attaching the 5big directly to an always on server, installing BTSync on that server and syncing the Drobo data to locations on the external 5big. If money is no object grab something like an Intel NUC or even a Mac Mini. What I do is use a Raspberry Pi. Nice and cheap :)

The issue with a RPi is the limited RAM - BTSync indexing millions of files will chew up system memory, so the RPi option is not good for syncing of massive directory trees (500,000 + files). But to be honest the Drobo 5N only has 1GB of RAM so it's also not very happy with indexing millions of files. Having said that the BTSync software is becoming more memory effecient with every release :)

A higher spec alternative to the RPi is the Humming Board.

Now I realise a lot of this may be difficult to follow if you are new to all of this. So send me your email in a private message if you want me to go through some things in more detail :)

Toby

@toby00001:

thank you for your efforts. I successfully installed an earlier version by putting your btsync.tgz file in the DroboApps folder and restarting the Drobo 5N. I uninstalled the old version and tried the same with this new file, and the only thing that gets unpacked in the btsync folder is a host_uid.txt file with a sting of letters and numbers. And the btsync.tgz file is still there. In the last version it was automatically deleted.

What is different in the new version that makes it not work? Is there something else I have to do?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to auto-back-up my local LaCie Big5 NAS to a Drobo 5N in another house. My understanding is that btsync can run on the Drobo 5N without a computer attached. Can I run btsync on the LaCie too, or do I have to run btsync on a computer on the network?

Sorry about the newbie questions. This is my first NAS experience, and my first attempt with btsync too. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Toby,

I'm considering trying to create a LAN based BT Sync machine for my home network. I don't own a NAS and don't want to spend more than about £50 on this project, I guess I could consider £100 if really necessary.

I'm pondering buying a Raspberry Pi or some other similar single board computer. You also mention a HummingBoard. I've looked at a TonidoPlug 2 for £60 as well, or PogoPlug 4 for about £45. I'm a confident unix user so would probably aim to put a native unix installation in place along with the BT Sync software.

My goal is to either sync ~30,000 files totalling 30GB, or 70,000 files totalling 100GB.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the feasibility of this sort of sync of BT Sync usage on a cheap device. I'd ideally like SATA connectivity for a 3.5" old HDD or a USB connected 2.5" HDD.

Pointers to folks that have already done this sort of project would be great.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I will send you a personal message - it will be easier to communicate about this.

If anyone else is wondering the same thing in the future please send me a personal message and I will try to help you too! :)

Toby

Actually Mark, I wasn't able to PM you. Email me at toby.humphrey(at)me.com and I can discuss this further.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Any chance of getting a recompile of the new v2 alpha for Drobo 5n?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I don't recommend using unstable alpha versions with your Drobo, which is why I am not maintaining anything beyond a beta.

Also it does worry me that Bittorrent seem to be reserving the most useful features for premium subscribers, despite these features being free to use in 1.4. But we will see when it is out of alpha. :)

• 4 months later...

Hi all BTSyncers. I am using BTSync very actively on a Drobo 5N NAS (as well as Raspberry Pi, Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, and Android). I recomplie the DroboApp every time BT release a new ARM version.

If anyone is interested in keeping up-to-date with BTSync on a Drobo 5N, please express your interest here and I will set up a respository on GitHub.

Cheers

Unfortunately, I have already updated to BTS 2.0.  Any plans to release a Drobo 5N complied version for that?

• 1 month later...