Btsync 1.4.75 (I386) Crash On Readynas Pro

fastfwd

On this system, BTSync-i386 version 1.4.75 crashes immediately on startup, exactly as version 1.4.72 does:

symbol lookup error: /usr/local/bin/btsync/btsync: undefined symbol: _ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE

The OS is what Netgear calls RAIDiator 4.2.26; it's Debian Etch (Debian 4.0) running on a ReadyNAS Pro. Kernel is version 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4.

My earlier error report for 1.4.72 is here: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/31281-btsync-1472-crash-on-linux-i386/

• 2 weeks later...

On this system, BTSync-i386 version 1.4.75 crashes immediately on startup, exactly as version 1.4.72 does:

symbol lookup error: /usr/local/bin/btsync/btsync: undefined symbol: _ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE

The OS is what Netgear calls RAIDiator 4.2.26; it's Debian Etch (Debian 4.0) running on a ReadyNAS Pro. Kernel is version 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4.

My earlier error report for 1.4.72 is here: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/31281-btsync-1472-crash-on-linux-i386/

I got the same issue on a QNAP TS-259 PRO+ with version 4.1.0.. However, I initially downloaded the i386 version, and later retried with the linux i386(glibc 2.3) version which did not give me this error (and could start).

# uname -a

Linux NAS 3.4.6 #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 03:34:00 CST 2014 i686 unknown

Edited by cjvs

I got the same issue on a QNAP TS-259 PRO+ with version 4.1.0.. However, I initially downloaded the i386 version, and later retried with the linux i386(glibc 2.3) version which did not give me this error (and could start).

Thanks - would never have thought to change to the glibc 2.3 version.

I can confirm that this works for my Centos 5.9 i386 install.

Hi all,

Some clarification about this issue.

This was caused by gcc update. Since version 4.5 a completely new type of symbols was introduced - unique global symbol (GNU-UNIQUE). This means that older version of linker and gcc will not support such symbols.

_ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE is one of those symbols, which means you can't run it on older systems.

And glibc23 is working fine because it was build with older toolchain, without such symbols.

This was caused by gcc update. Since version 4.5 a completely new type of symbols was introduced - unique global symbol (GNU-UNIQUE). This means that older version of linker and gcc will not support such symbols.

_ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE is one of those symbols, which means you can't run it on older systems.

And glibc23 is working fine because it was build with older toolchain, without such symbols.

Thank you for the explanation.  How will this issue be addressed?  Will future i386 versions be built so that they will run on those older systems, or will we have to continue running the glibc23 versions, or will there be yet another variation -- i386 built with an older toolchain -- or something else?

• 2 weeks later...