What's Wrong On New Sync 1.4

aid85

Ok title should be "what's wrong IMHO" because new version has introduced features that could improve security (or error prevention) for basic user but now usability for basic and normal user is lower.

And if you use Sync since a year you could not disagree the following 4 points:

1) key as url is nice but… Where is the simple key? On android I noticed that I could no more share key without url. I think that you must reintroduce an option for sharing plain key not only via QRcode!

2) You will get a link with the name of the folder you are sharing. This could be nice but would be better to get as an option and not by default. You could edit code by hand removing last part but is boring.

3) Now you can set limitation to the key such peer approval, expiration, max user, … But you have to disable by hand any time if you want a standard key and you could not set your custom limit as default. This is not limitation but is boring.

4) not a new point but with mobile (or at least android) version you are still not able to share a folder with a read+write key. You could add a read+write key (created on a desktop device) to a folder or create a readonly key but you could not create a read+write key directly from your mobile.

Let me know if I am wrong. Maybe I not see the right flag or advanced menu… otherwise spread this...

Thanks a lot.

:-)

Hey there.

Every concern with the key you have in the desktop version is simply obsolete, imho.

Go to the the advanced tab of the programs global preferences and enable "Show Copy Key".

Now each of your syncs settings button (the very right one in the line) has two new options: "Copy Read Only key" and "Copy Read & Write key".

Or open the preferences menu your share (the bottom most option of the settings button) and open the "View key" panel on the bottom of the modal box.

The parts of restricting links to expire in a couple of days, to be only calle a certain number of times or to require individual approval only aply to the "share link" things you get when emailing, the qr-code or the "copy" mechanism, all of them inside of the "share" modal. As soon as you don't use that "share" modal but fetch the key thrugh the methods I described one section above, those aren't restricted at all.

As for the android version: There is no mechanism to access the key itself, neither the read only key nor the read & write key. But the share thingy simply provides the same attributes as the share mechanism on the desktop UI does. That includes read only keys, read & write keys, allowing only a certain number of users to use that link or to expire at some time in the future.

Regards,

Stephan.

Hey there.

Every concern with the key you have in the desktop version is simply obsolete, imho.

Go to the the advanced tab of the programs global preferences and enable "Show Copy Key".

Now each of your syncs settings button (the very right one in the line) has two new options: "Copy Read Only key" and "Copy Read & Write key".

Or open the preferences menu your share (the bottom most option of the settings button) and open the "View key" panel on the bottom of the modal box.

The parts of restricting links to expire in a couple of days, to be only calle a certain number of times or to require individual approval only aply to the "share link" things you get when emailing, the qr-code or the "copy" mechanism, all of them inside of the "share" modal. As soon as you don't use that "share" modal but fetch the key thrugh the methods I described one section above, those aren't restricted at all.

As for the android version: There is no mechanism to access the key itself, neither the read only key nor the read & write key. But the share thingy simply provides the same attributes as the share mechanism on the desktop UI does. That includes read only keys, read & write keys, allowing only a certain number of users to use that link or to expire at some time in the future.

Regards,

Stephan.

Sorry: I forget to underline that all my point are about mobile (Android) version.

And as you say… there is no mechanism to access (an easy way) the simple plain key. This is very boring.

But the worst thing (and is not a news) is that you can not share with read+write permission a folder on your phone.

(You could but only was previously shared by a desktop)

I totally agree. I opened a thread (http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/31397-android-v1438-add-folder/) some time ago with exactly the same problem.

It isn't possible to share a read&write folder from an Android phone to an Android tablet without using a PC to generate the secret. Also you can't share a normal read-only folder, because the "backup" function is not the same as a read-only folder.

1) key as url is nice but… Where is the simple key? On android I noticed that I could no more share key without url. I think that you must reintroduce an option for sharing plain key not only via QRcode!

We'll bring ability to operate keys to Android in next update.

2) You will get a link with the name of the folder you are sharing. This could be nice but would be better to get as an option and not by default. You could edit code by hand removing last part but is boring.

You can simply rename the folder. Sync 1.4 follows whole folder rename.

3) Now you can set limitation to the key such peer approval, expiration, max user, … But you have to disable by hand any time if you want a standard key and you could not set your custom limit as default. This is not limitation but is boring.

Not sure I'm following your idea here. If you want a simple key - you can open folder prefs and copy it. No any restrictions can be applied to the key itself. Could you please elaborate?

4) not a new point but with mobile (or at least android) version you are still not able to share a folder with a read+write key. You could add a read+write key (created on a desktop device) to a folder or create a readonly key but you could not create a read+write key directly from your mobile.

Yep. Already on the wishlist. Sorry, due to beta phase of product development I cannot share any plan on particular feature implementation. I can only guarantee that your voice is heard and feature is considered by product management.

@RomanZ

At least for me

3) Now you can set limitation to the key such peer approval, expiration, max user, … But you have to disable by hand any time if you want a standard key and you could not set your custom limit as default. This is not limitation but is boring.

means, that it would be good if bittorrent sync would be able to "remember" the last options when sharing a key. The default options are post-47851-0-33952100-1410187694_thumb.p

If you set "link can be used: 3 times" the next time you share something it is reset to default.

Are you also aware that the Android version appears only with its "name" on the peers list? Other devices appear with their device names, which is better, because device names change, my name stays the same. So i have a lot of entries with same names in the peer list.

@RomanZ:

1 - Very nice! Just founded on the advanced pref into the new 1.4.44 :-)

2* - Knowing this and considering first point I should considering not so boring sharing also a folder name but I think that should be better to let deactivate with a flag every new option. As just done for "use key - copy key instead of links" you could considering adding a flag for "share folder name with link".

3 - Sorry for my bad english. @ICE has done better.

4 - Very happy to read this !! Hope to see it soon :-)

Hoping to see BTSync more used and spread asap…

(some user was scared by the "beta" status but now I am thinking that BTSync has become to "heavy" for standard user… *maybe moving all new nice options on an advanced preferences should prevent some ultra-basic user to run away …)  

Have a nice day… :-)