Change Key For Shared Folder

ldwg

I am sharing a folder with BitTorrent Sync on multiple machines. I fear someone unauthorized got access to the key. What am I supposed to do?

I could change the key (formerly known as secret). 

(Open Folder Info => “Full access secret” => New)

How can I ensure, the old key does not work any longer?

What happens, when I change the key on one device on other devices, that use the older key?

Thanks!

I am sharing a folder with BitTorrent Sync on multiple machines. I fear someone unauthorized got access to the key. What am I supposed to do?

Change the key on all your devices

How can I ensure, the old key does not work any longer?

By changing the key on all other devices, the one remaining device will still retain have it's original key but no other devices will have that key i.e. it will become "orphaned" and won't sync with anything

What happens, when I change the key on one device on other devices, that use the older key?

All devices using the same key will be able to share files between them. So, if you have 3 devices, A, B, and C all with the same key, and you then change the key on A and B to something new, but don't change C, A and B will continue to sync under the new key, and C will be removed from the previous "mesh" of devices

Thanks for your quick reply, GreatMarko! As I shared the now insecure key with 20+ users, I can not easily ensure, everyone changes the key.

Can I remotely wipe all shared files for the old key? I could set up one machine, that uses the old key, is always online, and I would delete all files within the synched folder.

Thanks, again!

Can I remotely swipe all shared files for the old key? I could set up one machine, that uses the old key, is always online, and I would delete all files within the synched folder.

No such "remote wipe" function exists (although a request for such a feature does exist in the Feature Request forum!)

If you do as you suggest and setup one machine with the old key and then delete everything, it will, by default, only "move" corresponding files on other devices to the .sync\Archive folder on those devices rather than delete them outright, so other users would still be able to retrieve the "deleted" files from their archives for a limited time (usually 30 days after deletion)

If you do as you suggest and setup one machine with the old key and then delete everything, it will, by default, only "move" corresponding files on other devices to the .sync\Archive folder on those devices rather than delete them outright, so other users would still be able to retrieve the "deleted" files from their archives for a limited time (usually 30 days after deletion)

What happens if another device connects with the key later on, after I deleted all files? In that case the deleted files from the .sync/Archive will not be transferred, right?

What happens if another device connects with the key later on, after I deleted all files? In that case the deleted files from the .sync/Archive will not be transferred, right?

Each folder's hidden .sync folder (and files contained within) is unique to that device - i.e. its contents doesn't transfer/sync with corresponding .sync folders on other devices.

• 2 weeks later...