[Solved] Btsync:// Protocol Not Available

MerceanCoconut

I have Bittorrent Sync 1.4.93 on Windows 7.  This is the first time I've tried adding a sync folder by email.  I get has far as my browser trying to open a btsync:// link and not knowing what to do with it.  I have checked the default programs and there is no btsync:// protocol available.  I'm guessing that somewhere during the upgrade process this was missed.

Anyone else with this problem?  I assume I need to add the protocol and link it to the btsync client.  I'm not sure how to do that.

@MerceanCoconut

It looks like btsync was not registered during upgrade in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. It's rather simple to fix. I'm attaching a reg file - it associates btsync:// with btsync app. Please make sure that path is correct (it may change depending on x86/x64 version of Sync).

@icymatter

No, this is not the only way. Fixing the registry or reinstalling Sync should fix it.

fix_link_open.zip

@MerceanCoconut

It looks like btsync was not registered during upgrade in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. It's rather simple to fix. I'm attaching a reg file - it associates btsync:// with btsync app. Please make sure that path is correct (it may change depending on x86/x64 version of Sync).

@icymatter

No, this is not the only way. Fixing the registry or reinstalling Sync should fix it.

Sync was installed in Program Files (x86), so I decided to reinstall and grab the 64 bit version while I was at it.  That did indeed register the protocol.  I was pleased to see that uninstalling didn't remove existing sync directories.

Thanks!