Huge Problems With 1.4.93 Beta

Merk7

I upgraded two computers to 1.4.93 Beta and have had nothing but problems. The install itself was poor because the installation failed more than once on each machine before saved the file and installed it outside the automated installation routine. Once installed, I noticed that my files were not syncing. Today I found that all of my folders on one of my computers are missing from the BTS preferences.

So now I need to go back and figure out how to re-do my settings and get this running again. In a nutshell, this update has been a mess for me and will end up being about a 5-hour time waster.

@Merk7

The mechanism of identifying which file is older or newer did not changed in the core. The only related change is that the file being processed immediately after it changed (which actually reduces the chances of "old files" being replaced by "newer files".

The discarded newer files can be found in .sync\Archive folder - you can restore them.

Could you please share a bit more about the scenario - when you was upgrading, wasn't folders on A and B in sync? How big was the difference? What are the files and if are they saved by editing app (which one?) directly to the Sync folder? Was Sync running when app modified files?

Thanks.

This is really fascinating.  For one file that was destroyed when Machine A overwrote what I had on Machine B, I cannot delete it from B. When I delete it, it immediately reappears, "synced" by BTS. To get rid of the old file, I had to go to Machine A to delete it. The it was deleted from B.

At some point soon, I will need to spend hours trying to figure out where similar problems exist among my thousands of files. But the bottom line is that this new version of BTS is not providing reliable synchronization.

@RomanZ

When upgrading, I did not check to see if the folders were in sync. The 'new' file had been edited on October 20 while the old file had a date of May 27.  The file in question was a WordPerfect (.wpd) text file. (Yes, I know, but it's still a better application than Word, regardless of its popularity.) I have BTS running at all times, so, yes, I assume it was running when the files were modified.

Another symptom: BTS history frequently shows it syncing files that I have archived and which have not been changed or accessed for months or years. No changes appear to occur, but the activity shows up.

Thanks for your help.

I have been having the same issue - new files are being replaced with old files almost instantaneously. It is nice that bitsync does keep them in the archive to avoid losing this work but with the volume of files we modify it is almost more work to sift through the archive to find which is the most up-to-date. 

Is there any way to force bit-sync to use the most up-to-date version?

I am syncing photos across 8 devices. 

3 - Android tablets running android 4.4.2 along with the most up to date android sync

4 - windows 7 pro computers - running the lates 1.4.93 Beta (I updated them on the day the update came out though in no particular order)

1 - windows 8.1 pc also running 1.4.93 Beta

Also I will add that all the windows 7 computers are on a wired ethernet network while everything else is on wifi - could this connect lag be partially to blame for the overwriting errors?

Edited by theway

• 3 weeks later...