1.4.93 Beta Is Hopelessly Broken

eric.kolotyluk

At least 1.3 used to work, but 1.4 is sooo very broken I cannot get it to work.

A friend e-mail me a share link, but when I click the link all I get is

The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (btsync) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.

I tried this with Chrome too, that did not work either, and there was no diagnostic message.

There does not seem to be any way to set-up a link manually any more, and this is very wrong. Clearly the mechanism with a URL/URI has not been sufficiently tested. It is very frustrating when a product removes features that are known to work, and replaces them with features that are clearly defective. I can see that the intent was to make connection easier, but it is broken, so the product is unusuable for some.

Another complaint, the Setting menu (the little gear) should have an "About" setting. Hiding the version information in Preferences item is not intuative. When you ask the user if they are using verion 1.3 or 1.4, you should have an easy way, like 90% of all the other software applications out there, that the user can find the version information, or in the message, tell them where to find the version information.

So sad. Such a promising product. Too bad usability is not a priority in the design.

I've never had issues with Firefox recognizing the protocol (windows).

You can definitely manually add a link if you don't want to use the URL.

I also wouldn't call the version hidden but that's preference. It's one click either way. I never used 1.3 but from what I've gathered there are many visual cues for identifying 1.3 or 1.4 :)