Btsync For Android Keeps Crashing

kbtombul

I didn't notice this problem until today so it might have been introduced with the latest version, or even the OS update. I don't keep BTSync running most of the time so I don't know when it started.

I had two backup folders setup, one of them was sdcard root folder and the other one was Camera folder. I wanted to add an encrypted node for these folders. I generated an new key to use with the root folder. I removed the root folder that was setup as a backup folder, added it again with the new r/w key. Then I noticed that it crashes.

I checked the logcat, found the lines below but nothing else, and I can't access the dump file because my phone is not rooted. Here is some info:

Motorola Droid MaxxAndroid: 4.4.4System Version: 23.3.24.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.USBuild number: SU5-24BTSync: 1.4.56.0 (tried both play store version and apk)
E/UTERRORONOES(19612): Dump path: /data/data/com.bittorrent.sync/files/.sync//5761bf64-bf7e-3df0-06159e7f-65204c26.dmpI/UTERRORONOES(19612): BTSync Core error: coreCrashCallback() called successfully.I/ActivityManager(  914): Process com.bittorrent.sync (pid 19612) has died.I/WindowState(  914): WIN DEATH: Window{4387c908 u0 com.bittorrent.sync/com.bittorrent.sync.ui.activity.MainActivity}W/ActivityManager(  914): Scheduling restart of crashed service com.bittorrent.sync/.service.CoreService in 256000msW/ActivityManager(  914): Force removing ActivityRecord{433a0688 u0 com.bittorrent.sync/.ui.activity.MainActivity t40}: app died, no saved state

@kbtombul

It should work, though we highly do not recommend to use encrypted keys with mobile devices. ARM CPUs usually do not have hardware encryption support and Encrypted keys are going to load CPU heavily, as well as consume twice as much RAM - which at the end of day will result in extremely high power consumption. 

I think no one has any idea what's happening here :)

Anyways, I did some more testing, it doesn't crash when I use regular r/w keys but it crashes all the time when I use r/w keys generated as encrypted. After it crashes the service restarts in the background then crashes again, then again, until the OS says that's enough.

I think no one has any idea what's happening here :)

Anyways, I did some more testing, it doesn't crash when I use regular r/w keys but it crashes all the time when I use r/w keys generated as encrypted. After it crashes the service restarts in the background then crashes again, then again, until the OS says that's enough.

Did you see RomanZ's reply to you above?

If Sync is working for you on your Android device with r/w keys, but crashing with encrypted keys, it suggests that your device/hardware isn't capable of handling encrypted keys, for the reasons RomanZ has outlined.

Sorry, I have been writing the other post for a while, didn't see your reply.

That's a good point, I'm not worried about CPU/Memory consumption though.

I keep my (virtual) sdcard folder and camera folder synced to my Mac. I wanted to add a cloud node (Backupsy) in case something happens and I wanted it to be encrypted for obvious reasons.

Do you think my problem is caused by a bug in BTSync or the app dying/getting killed because of heavy processing?

Also do you have any suggestions on how I can achieve what I want to achieve without using encrypted keys on the device (without copying the content to another folder on my Mac to sync with cloud of course :))?

@kbtombul

It should work, though we highly do not recommend to use encrypted keys with mobile devices. ARM CPUs usually do not have hardware encryption support and Encrypted keys are going to load CPU heavily, as well as consume twice as much RAM - which at the end of day will result in extremely high power consumption. 

----- 

Did you see RomanZ's reply to you above?

If Sync is working for you on your Android device with r/w keys, but crashing with encrypted keys, it suggests that your device/hardware isn't capable of handling encrypted keys, for the reasons RomanZ has outlined.

I did, but late, the page is not being updated while I write the post.

It works for some time and actually syncs some files, but it crashes later, maybe when the memory usage increases or something.