Read Only Client To Track Deletes

marky1124

Hi,

I think this is a new feature request, because I don't think the client supports this today, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I want a 'read only' client to remember the files that have been deleted in that client folder and not download them again. I'd be happy for this to be based on the filename, although perhaps it would be better to be based on a checksum of the file.

This is why I want this feature. I have a folder with family videos in it. I sync between a couple of my machines but also share it 'read only' to other family members. They don't always want all of the videos. So they'd like to delete them after viewing. When they do that BTSync downloads it again.

Is it possible to do this today?

If not please could you consider adding this functionality as a folder option?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Actually by default Sync does not download deleted or changed file on Read-only peer. There is a special setting which can force Sync to re-download files if they are changed / removed. See the folder preferences, "Overwrite any changed files". If it is unchecked, you'll get exactly what you ask for.

Hi Mark,

Actually by default Sync does not download deleted or changed file on Read-only peer. There is a special setting which can force Sync to re-download files if they are changed / removed. See the folder preferences, "Overwrite any changed files". If it is unchecked, you'll get exactly what you ask for.

Hi RomanZ,

You are absolutely right. Thank you. I've just tested it between two machines with a dozen photos in the folder. It worked perfectly. The 'read write' machine shows the Status as 'Out of Sync' once the 'read only' machine deletes a file. That doesn't stop it sync'ing if you add another file on the 'read write' machine. I think the message 'Out of Sync' might lead to some confusion.

Anyway, thanks again,

Cheers,

Mark

The 'read write' machine shows the Status as 'Out of Sync' once the 'read only' machine deletes a file. 

That's correct. When you delete files on RO peers, for Sync it still looks like folders on both peers are not balanced, so it shows "out of sync' and in sync queue on RW peer you will be able to see the files that were changed on RO peer.