Client Machine With Filled Storage Deletes Files.

sync-ohoy

I noticed today at work that files I was adding to sync, rendered animation image files so quite a lot and quite large, was dissapearing from their folders.

It looked like it was a laptop with not too much storage that was deleting the files. Sure enough, the laptop was filled to the brim, not a single Kb left. It had started to send deletions and replacement files of  0Kb size to my other machines...

I pulled the plug on that one and don't want to turn it on before I find out what damage it did so I don't know what version of BTsync it ran, but it was older than the 1.4.103 I have on my work machine and on my server.

How can machines be allowed to do this when they are unable to download the synced files themselves? It's quite serious I think.

One of the requirements of Sync is that there is sufficient free space on drives for the amount of data you wish to sync. If there isn't data loss can occur.

There are a few things you can do, however, to reduce the amount of physical disk space Sync uses:

1) Untick the "Store deleted files in folder archive" per-folder option

2) Reduce the advanced "sync_trash_ttl" setting from the default 30 (days) to 1 - this controls for how long deleted/archived files persist in various .sync/Archive folders

3) Ensure debug logging is disabled

4) Reduce the advanced "log_size" setting from the default 100 (MB)

I think this behaviour is very dangerous and can cause much damage and dataloss! Wouldn't it be wise to have som kind of protections so clients doesn't doesn't start to delete files from other machines when they are full?

I forgot that the laptop was on and syncing when I started a new job using a lot of space (About 100Gb so far so reducing a log from 100Mb wouldn't do much...)

From work machine I've rerendered the files into the folders they were deleted from. 2 folders with 375 images each.

I cleaned up storage on the misbehaving laptop and restarted btsync on it. It synced all files more recent than the folders it messed with before but those two it continue f***ng up, deleting about half rerendered files in them.

It deletes the files from my other shares and they are NOT moved to .sync. Only about half the files from each folder shows up in archive on both on work stationary and server. (and it's not the other half missing from the folders, it's random files from the sequences, both deleted and still present ones).

Hopefully I haven't lost anything else, more critical, than these two render folders.