Sync 2.0 Licensing

Patric

I don't understand. The fine print says you can only install on one computer. This means to use Sync I have to buy 2 licenses (otherwise you have nowhere to sync to).

I have 4 computers, a Mybook, ipad and smartphone. How many licenses do I need? 

The price of a license seems reasonable to me if I only have to buy one but if I have to buy 7 then there are cheaper options (unfortunately without the Trust-no-One security).

I have not researched this but my gut tells me the move away from folder secrets to certificates seems like a downgrade in security and possible compromise of TNO.

patric

I have 4 computers, a Mybook, ipad and smartphone. How many licenses do I need?

Licensing is "per identity" (an identity is what links your devices together in 2.0 under "My Devices"), and not "per device". Therefore, for your 4 devices, you will need 1 license.

Install the free/trial version of Sync 2.0 on all your devices, link them together under "My Devices", then enter your Pro license key on one device and it will automatically convert the other linked devices from free/trial editions to "Pro" editions.

@Patric

1 license is for 1 identity. If you are using single identity for these 4 computers and mobile devices - 1 license is enough. If you want to use more identities - you need more licenses.

For the security - moving to certificates improves security as you won't operate more with bare keys and they won't be stolen. Also, certs allow you to revoke access from users if you need to do it. Note, that 2.0 is capable on working with classic folders as well: when clicking "Add folder" button hold shift to add it in 1.4 way with key instead of certificate.

@Patric

1 license is for 1 identity. If you are using single identity for these 4 computers and mobile devices - 1 license is enough. If you want to use more identities - you need more licenses.

For the security - moving to certificates improves security as you won't operate more with bare keys and they won't be stolen. Also, certs allow you to revoke access from users if you need to do it. Note, that 2.0 is capable on working with classic folders as well: when clicking "Add folder" button hold shift to add it in 1.4 way with key instead of certificate.

Where are you reading this - 1 license is 1 identity?

The EULA (https://www.getsync.com/legal/eula-subscription) says nothing of the sort:

During the Service Period, You may:

• use one copy of the Software on a single computer;
  • make one copy of the Software for back-up or archival purposes, or copy the Software onto the hard disk of Your computer and retain the original for back-up or archival purposes; and
  • use the Software on a network, provided that You have a licensed copy of the Software for each computer that can access the Software over that network.
Edited by tinman2

@tinman2

The license you purchase is bound to the user identity, not to a computer or device. So, every Sync that connects to the identity with a license becomes licensed copy of software. You can confirm the fact that copy is licensed in "Cog button -> License".

Thank you for all the replies - Marko, Romanz.

I'll upgrade and give it a try.

Tinman

The first bullet point in your quote. "Use one copy of the Software on a single computer".

Seems pretty clear to me (non-lawyer) that I would be violating the terms by installing on more than one computer. Unless I am missing something??

The quote from the EULA is pretty standard for software. Wonder if it is a copy-pasta error and not modified for this particular use. If you enter that text in Google you get a bunch of very similar entries in other EULA's. Some nearly word for word and same format.

Perhaps it needs to be personalized for this project? I imagine that will cost more. Lawyer - "oh - you wanted me to write something original and specific?" "Hmm - that will cost you more if I can't just copy and paste from prior work!" :)

@tinman2

The license you purchase is bound to the user identity, not to a computer or device. So, every Sync that connects to the identity with a license becomes licensed copy of software. You can confirm the fact that copy is licensed in "Cog button -> License".

Thanks, but the EULA is VERY explicit and so far everyone's responses are entirely anecdotal with no proof that licensing is per identity - as far as I'm aware, the process of every installed version being automatically licensed might be a bug and "fixed" at any stage.

As far as I'm concerned, the licensing model I have to pay for is "per device" until the terms on the website are corrected...these are "the terms" that legally underpin the licensing contract regardless of how the software functions...

Guest proactiveservices

I'm not sure how you can say that the current license wording for the "one copy, one machine" license term isn't considered an issue - it very clearly states the term and no amount of knowledge base articles can supersede a contract.

"This License Agreement is the entire agreement between You and BitTorrent relating to the Software and: (i) supersedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals, and representations with respect to its subject matter; and (ii) prevails over any conflicting or additional terms of any quote, order, acknowledgment, or similar communications between the parties"

I'd also like to point out that the following clause:

"...Technical Support shall be provided in BitTorrent’s sole discretion without any guarantee or warranty of any kind"

This is extremely distasteful for a subscription-based product, and may even be considered an "unfair contract term" in the UK, which voids the contract. If a customer pays for the software on an on-going basis, technical support must be guaranteed on that same basis.

Guest proactiveservices

http://www.getsync.com/legal/eula "License" section is currently as follows:

"Single User license...BitTorrent, Inc. grants you a personal...license to use the Software, solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes, and you may not use the Software for internal use as an end user if you are a business except if you have a valid license for BitTorrent Sync Pro."

This states that I may not use BitTorrent Sync or Sync Pro for my business, commercial purposes. It states that I may use the software for internal use as a business only if I have a Sync Pro license. As it stands, these two stipulations prevent me from using the software in my business even if I have a Sync Pro license, as the "soley for your personal, non-commercial purposes" is not excepted by the Sync Pro license.

The business and Sync Pro contractual terms need their own paragraph or section and need to reflect how I am allowed to use the software. Just tacking on here with a few sentences makes me feel businesses are being marginalised by BitTorrent.

I laud BitTorrent for making their legal text easy to read, easy to find and to understand. But you are making it very easy for some of us to see that we cannot use your software at all :-(

• 2 months later...